US Stove 8500 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rgerek

Nov 25, 2014
Rubicon WI
I am running corn in the stove and need to replace the agitator so how does the burn pot come out?

Welcome to the forum - sorry no one answered before now. Hopefully some one will chime in with some tips ...

Page 9 on the pdf (manual page 16) mentions periodic removal of burn pot and agitator for cleaning but no step-by-step instructions. Exploded view shows there is a hairpin on the agitator but not sure if that is for removal... How do you clean ash traps behind if you haven't removed burn pot?
http://www.sylvane.com/media/documents/products/usstove-8500-multi-fuel-furnace-owner's-manual.pdf

I've never seen an 8500 in person, but in those pictures in the manual it seems like your stove has a burn pot setup like mine. If it does you should be able to just pull the hairpin clip that goes through the agitator shaft then lift the burn pot with agitator up and out.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I have tried pulling the pin, the unit will not come out, I have looked at the parts list and I think the burn pot was put in backwards from the factory. On the parts list it shows the high side of the burn pot facing the door and mine is facing the rear and its looks like it was forced in there. I also saw a picture of the burn pot in use and the high side was facing the door, any ideas?

I think you're right about the high side of the burn pot facing the door. I've seen burn pot clips listed as parts for my stove over on the ussc site. I'm not sure where they go, but look around for them on your stove. Otherwise maybe a couple taps with a hammer could dislodge it.

I will be getting a new stainless steel agitator on Saturday, I will shut down the stove then and try to remove it, other than that I have no problems with the stove with either corn or pellets. Right now the house is 80 and outside its around 20, I am burning 2.07 pound an hour and I bought 9 tons of cotrn for $900 so I am happy.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Thanks, I'll keep everyone informed, and have a Happy Transgiving.

Update.......... I finally removed the burn pot, it doesn't just lift out you have to remove the pin from the agitator bar then slide the agitator toward the motor shaft. Then lift the burn pot out. I put the stainless steel agitator in, then turn the burn pot with the higher end towards the door we will see what happens. The old agitator was cast iron and was completely shot, purchased a SS one on eBay, we'll see if it holds up. Thanks

US Stove 8500 Question

Did you give that burn pot a good scrubbing while you had it out? The first agitator may be shot due to burn pot in the wrong way ...

How ya liking the furnace so far? my wife gave me the greenlight on getting one if i want...sadly i cannot find them yet. Was planning on getting one via Home Depot but currently outta stock. Would fit perfectly inplace of my current wood furnace.

Yes I cleaned the burn pot to shine, the old agitator was cast iron it could not handle the kinker that corn makes, the stainless will. Thanks

Second do I like the stove, yes 99 percent of the time, you better have a big house this stove is designed for 3000sqf or more, I have a 1760sqf house you have to adjust the burn rate way down otherwise the house is 85 plus and you have to open windows. If you have to adjust the stove, US stove is little or no help, they think the settings are a national secret and tell you they can not give out that information. I got all the info from websites like this. The last thing this stove is heavy, 400 plus hard to move.

I like that I can burn pellets or corn and once you get use to it its a great stove, I got mine for 1969.00 with free shipping from Rural King, check out the web site.

Thanks for the info! if i ever manage to get one ill look ya up for info. Im used to 90 inside weather when its 0 outside, ive got an englander add-on...trust me, they work just as well if not better for my home. lol My little 6039 is a great stove and we're loving it, but wife would like to get one we could plumb into ductwork and regulate temps alot better..thats where the 8500 comes in to play. haha.

If you have to adjust the stove, US stove is little or no help, they think the settings are a national secret and tell you they can not give out that information. .

Sorry they made you feel that way. If you still need the adjustment info let me know I'll e-mail it to you.