Dead red oak limbs? Pre-seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Would you consider these dead red oak limbs to be seasoned? As in if I collected a bunch of it it could be burned this coming winter in a Blaze King Stove?
Dead red oak limbs?  Pre-seasoned?
Dead red oak limbs?  Pre-seasoned?

If you split it, measure it in the fresh surface it reads 20 % now, then yes....

I had a 20" diameter red oak a few years ago find its way to my house: the top of the tree split and burned just fine that year. Toward the bottom it had more moisture in it and needed a year to season.

Reactions: Dix and stoveliker
Be very careful dropping a dead tree. Branches are not called widowmakers because it sounds cool.

Reactions: stoveliker
My point was that you have to get data; assuming it's good (or still too wet) has a decent probability of getting it wrong and either waiting longer than needed or burning wood that's too wet.

The question "is this dry enough" doesn't have a generic answer in this case.

Will they be seasoned?, probably not to their fullest. Can you burn it?, yes it will burn and keep you warm but not as good as seasoned wood. If it was all I had I would burn it, and I would check my stove and chimney often. Start stockpiling and get a few years ahead and you won't have to worry in the future.

If you split it down to kindling size and leave it in the dun and wind it’ll probably get dry enough.

Toothpicks dry faster than rounds!

I agree with using a moisture meter. It takes the guesswork out of it. They aren't
all that expensive and they will last for ages.