Review of Regency --- I2400 Medium -- Fireplace Inserted Stove burning Wood only
Installation Type: Wood/Coal - into masonry chimney
prior to Nov. 2004*)
Satisfaction Ratings from 5 stars (best) to 1 star (worst)
Satisfaction with unit = ✰✰✰✰✰
Satisfaction with dealer = ✰✰✰✰✰
Satisfaction with manufacturer = ✰✰✰✰✰
Other Information about the Home and Stove
Room Size (Sq ft): 240 | House Size (Sq feet): 1200
Bought in 2003 , Price Paid: $1550
Location : Pittsburgh, Pa. , U.S.A.
Purchased from: Fireplace Retail Store - Ed's Woodshed
1. Firebox view is incredible, especially at initial light up.
2. Very quiet fan on low. Setting it on automatic allows the heat to move through the living room down the hallway.
3. Burn time is acceptable, b/w 2 to 3 hrs on a full load but I'm giving it about 2/3 draft - very acceptable. I'm also burning 85% cherry - very dry.
4. Easy to light - I just ball up newspaper, throw in a few starter sticks, and some small wood and let the door cracked a few minutes to get it going.
5. Lower gas bill - neighbors bills were $220 to $280 where mine was $147 in Jan '04 but my living room was a toasty 76 degrees. P.S. I know they turned their furnaces down and huddled around their gas logs!
1. Glass cleaning - if you burn dry wood, you won't have an issue. I clean the glass after every other burn. I spray a little special cleaner and wipe dry then water and wipe dry. Once you get the fire hot, you're okay, sooting won't take place.
2. Humidity, I'm using the 2 Qt. half kettle(a must buy), here's the verdict - if I use the low fan on the insert, the water temp. in the kettle is 170 degrees not much steaming, no fan - oh baby! it's over 200 degrees and bubbling away - pretty neat, and makes room comfy. High fan - forget it. It's a trade off?
This insert is installed in far end of 43ft. ranch, living room at 76, hallway at 72, bedrooms at 66. I highly recommend letting the professionals install this product and get that chimney lined! I took an expensive chance of getting the wood insert because I ALWAYS had smoke coming back into the living room through those darn fireplace doors but I couldn't believe and still don't know how this Regency I2400 insert moves the draft so perfectly up that metal chimney liner through the cap. What a sensational well engineered product. Oh before I forget, that crackling sound of a real fire echoing is awesome.
* Dates that reviews were submitted were not recorded prior to Nov. 2004