1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Review of Martin --- MM30L UNVENTED ( Vent Free) Firepla -- Gas Log burning Natural Gas or Propane (LP)

Hearth.com Wood Stove and Fireplace Review Section - thousands of ratings and reviews on wood, pellet and gas stoves and fireplaces

Review of Martin --- MM30L UNVENTED ( Vent Free) Firepla -- Gas Log burning Natural Gas or Propane (LP)
Installation Type: Gas - Vent Free (no Chimney)
Date Reviewed: prior to Nov. 2004*)

Satisfaction Ratings from 5 stars (best) to 1 star (worst)
Satisfaction with unit = ✰
Satisfaction with dealer = ✰✰
Satisfaction with manufacturer = ✰✰

Other Information about the Home and Stove
Room Size (Sq ft): 200 | House Size (Sq feet): 1000
Bought in 1998 , Price Paid: $600
Location : , North , US
Purchased from: Other Store Type (Furniture/etc) - Suburban

Caluwe Hydronic Wood and Pellet stoves
Likes: First few years seemingly excellent. Nice appearance. Makes a person feel like you have a fireplace in your home. Thermostat works well. Warms entire house. With fireplace looking unit around it and the pseudo-logs, looks really classy. Affordable. No electricity to use.

Dislikes: We were being slowly poisoned with carbon monoxide. Could have ruined our lives forever. Carbon monoxide level increases over time.

Comments: When we were told by many people that vent free units were dangerous and malfunctioned, we would always come back with that fact that our family had a unit that was excellent. Compared to electric heat, we saved a ton of money and had WARM house.

However, we had no idea that we were being slowly poisoned by carbon monoxide. I always react extremely to kerosene and wood stoves, but this unit never seemed to bother me much when we got it, so I assumed that it was okay. BIG MISTAKE.

This is our fifth season. After becoming violently ill at a restaurant a few weeks ago, we determined it was the flu. It took only a week before I collapsed and my three year old laid on the ground lethargic- FINALLY it dawned on me that it was our heater.

Carbon monoxide detector showed reasonable low levels (under 50 ppm) but the damage done by this unit to my body in particular and to that of my family can not have a price on it.

After only a week without any heat, I am still suffering greatly from the poison. I wish that we had gotten rid of our heater when we were warned a few years ago, but we did not.

PLEASE, if you are thinking of having a unit like this, or any other vent free unit, PLEASE LISTEN TO THE WARNINGS. The CO levels will accumulate in your body and it might be too late before you discover how much damage it is doing to you. Believe me. Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is something you do NOT want to experience. I know from personal experience.

Feel free to email me at any time about this. I would be glad to talk to you about it.

* Dates that reviews were submitted were not recorded prior to Nov. 2004