“chipdrop “

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is woodburning term I have never heard of, what is a chipdrop?.

Does anyone use chipdrop to get free firewood?
I don’t think this works to be honest. I tried it and got nowhere. But hey give it a shot.

It's a website you can register for loads of wood rounds, log lengths, or wood chips to be dropped off. Tree companies go there to find drop off locations.

I am not a fan. Tried once, no luck.

Better deal with individual companies.

Reactions: patrickk222
It's a website you can register for loads of wood rounds, log lengths, or wood chips to be dropped off. Tree companies go there to find drop off locations.

I am not a fan. Tried once, no luck.

Better deal with individual companies.
I tried something similar with the regional company that clears limbs from local power wires. You have to be ready and on the spot for when they have stuff. The last time I wasn't home and missed a load. They take you off the list when that happens because the demand is high.

Here I signed up for another, similar, system. Even paid $25 to offset the tree company ("providers" have to pay, for "receivers" (like me) it's free) - they suggested it'd result in quicker delivery and I'm fine paying $25 for 3 cords :p

I got nothing. After a month my "please deliver" entry expired without delivery.

Not doing this again. I have a list of tree companies that can deliver log lengths. Much easier. Personal contact, give them some "gas money", and everybody is happy. Direct contact with small businesses works better than the "cooperative" (chipdrop or whatever) system, is my experience.

I listed with chipdrop and got nothing. I talked to a local tree service and got many truckloads of good chips. I wasn't looking for firewood but if I was there was plenty I could have gone and picked up if I asked.

Reactions: stoveliker