0 Vision would like your input...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gotrek

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2014
Manitoba
It's kind of hearth related... but... Which hearth pad look do you guys like the best. I have no creative design other then I know I can make this shape, and I liked the looks of these tiles...

It's going against a dark dark blue wall between two large windows with white frames. If that helps. Open to opnions on grout color too :) This is a temporary pad(which will probably be permanent as we all know) I'm putting over my carpet because I'm having a hard time getting someone in to cut my carpet and tile right on my concrete floor and I'm too chicken to do it.

Pad 1

29o4sn5.jpg

Pad 2

2zpmgqu.jpg

Pad 3

2f0d0yx.jpg

Sorry for the Crude Mspaint Quickie... It's a pretty large pad 6ft x 5ft because it will fit nicely between the windows and I like to have a place to keep my tools and my cold feet.

Realizing it is entirely subjective . . . I am kind of partial to Pad 1 . . . closely followed by Pad 2.

They all look great.
I'd consider where the ash from the stove might fall and what that would look like.

I did a slate look porcelain tile with black/charcoal grout. It pretty much always looks clean with ash on it.

I can post a picture if you would like.

What semipro and sportsbikerider say. Consider where it will get most dirty and tile porosity. Even if you seal it, a porous tile will hold ash and look dirty 24/7. I would go with a hard (PEI of 4 or 5) smooth surface porcelain tile. Gray or dark.

Pad 1 is closest to the scheme we chose.

My wife who has an eye for design says the third design would look best ... although she says it may depend on the actual color of the walls.

Yes please! Good point about ash/spills too thank you guys

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This is a tad washed out from artificial lighting. It is more rich/darker/natural than it looks in the pic.

Notice the chip in the grout. A sizeable split was dropped right there by the wifey.

Attachments

• 20160929_062950.jpg
    20160929_062950.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: vinny11950
Pad 1 or pad 3.

If carpet is left under the pad, just make sure you are meeting all the R requirements from the manual for the pad.

Yep ember protection only is the requirement but the pad has an r value around 2 anyways.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well I went with number 1. My first ever project like this but I think it turned out kind of nice.

No grout yet or Trim but this is it so far.

My biggest mistake is building it in the shop, 300 meters away from the house, Which wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't boxed in my tractor behind it, so now I'll need a couple helpers to help me move it out of the way and into the house :D

pad.jpg

My biggest mistake is building it in the shop

Yeah, I did the same. Had to rent a hand truck to get it upstairs from the basement.

I just used the 511 Impregnator Sealer for sealing my bathroom tiles and so far so good. Quality product. 3 coats. You should be able to find the smaller/cheaper bottle for around $16.

So here is the final product Moving it this weekend I managed to raise it high enough to slip my trailer under it so I can tow it to the house :)

Couldn't find suitable trim so I cut a "rabbet" (I think) in some 5/4 decking boards (cedar) I had on hand so I could form an L shaped moulding about 1/4" high and hide the imperfections on the edges :) I finished it with boiled linseed oil and wax (that's all I had on hand) Never wood worked this much before, but experienced with metal and the experience lent itself well.

Sealed it with a sealer as reccomended. I found locally (small town) It's a wet look/gloss looks amazing in proper lighting (ie not in the picture but in person it's really good)

pad2.jpg
pad1.jpg

EDIT: in hindsight after posting this I realized it might of looked awesome trimmed with Angle iron too.. That might be for version 2.0 :) I broke the fence on my table saw so can't make straight cuts anymore anyways :)

Reactions: vinny11950
That thing is huge.... Must weight 100+ lbs. Get some friends to help you move it, if you can.

Looks really good. Congrats.

It's 5' x 6' Yeah I wanted the extra space to put "stuff" on it since it's sadly going over carpet

My requirements were 53" deep x 44" wide (minimum for the stove I want)

It's going between two huge 6sq ft windows so making it 6ft wide fills in the space between both windows. 60" deep gives me 7" more then 18" from the door that is minimum required in canada reasoning was carpet :)

Plus even shape was easier to figure out how many tiles to get without cutting :)

And last when I sell it, it can pretty much be used by anyone/any size stove. The long term plan is to tile direct to the concrete floor (rip out carpet) I just can't get a F******** contractor to come do it and didn't want to do it myself.

Last edited:
Looks great!

very nice. we did a tile on the concrete floor.... i'm glad I went with a matte finish on the tile because of the ash, and a brown color to hide the dirt and wood chips :)

20151122_184145.jpg

That looks great v2 for me will definitely go right on the ground when we ditch the carpet in the whole house.