02 civic no climate controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Jun 27, 2006
I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX sedan.

Interior heat-a/c fan not working.
All fuses under-hood and under-dash are good.
I changed the fan relay in the under-hood fuse/relay box. (not cheap)
I changed the "resistor" near the fan. (even less cheap)
Fan still doesn't want to work.

I figure out that there is no power to the climate controls on the dash...nothing works!
This has officially gone from bad to worse!

Is there another fuse that I should look at?
Is there a wiring diagram I can follow to find a broken wire?
This all started after I changed the oil so is there a related wire harness that I may have bumped while changing the oil or filter?

I am stumped.

I am handy as hell and can fix lots of things, but electrical gremlins get me every time!
I am turning in my man card.

I'm not familiar with your car, but - check the engine side of the firewall for any connectors that you may have jostled.
There just might be an in-line fuse under the dash going to the heater controls.
The power comes through the key switch, directly or indirectly, so you may try tracing wires to see where they go. It's a royal pain, and nearly impossible on newer cars, anyway.
Also check for a loose vacuum line under the hood - many systems use vacuum to control the heater doors.
Not much help, but the best I can do...

You're flying blind without any adult supervision. The first thing you need to do is go to your local Advance Auto and get a Haynes manual for your make and model. They have electrical prints and instructions on how things work and how to trouble shoot it. It could be electric controlled but also could be vacuum. You do have a good volt meter and vacuum gauge's don't you? Looks to me like you need book instruction and tools to believe in, other wise you well just throw parts at it. David

No offense Captain Hornet but Haynes manuals have gotten on my grumpy side as of late. Too many omissions, flat out errors, and "This procedure is beyond the scope of this manual" declarations. A far better source of information is http://www.alldatadiy.com

Once you know which fuse the blower fan is on, pull it and connect your test light to ground. Check for power at both of the fuse terminals. If you have power at one terminal than the problem is in the switches/relays/resistors or the blower motor itself. It's not unheard of to have a bad wire/connector in a harness either. If there's no power to either terminal than the problem is upstream where-ever the CC System draws it's power from. Using a schematic, wherever you obtain it from, you should be able to trace the circuit from origin to termination (usually at a ground point.)

If any of this sounds scary, then I highly recommend consulting/hiring a pro.

Good Luck!

I agree that the Haynes and Chilton manuals leave loads to be desired. I bite the bullet and get the factory manuals. They are well worth the expense to me, but may not be for the casual DIYer.

And, spot - sometimes, the worse things appear, the easier they are to repair. No power to the whole system is generally easier to fix than if only one element didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.