028 Muffler problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Good evening everyone.
I have a 028 av super that i finally got running great after carb rebuild and new vent tube but now the outer half of the muffler keeps coming loose. I have tightened up the 2 bolts but after about an hour of cutting they keep coming loose again. The threads are good so i bought new bolts and was wondering if i should be using loctite and if so which type. Also any idea what these bolts are made of they where $3.17 each and less then 3/4 of an inch long. :bug:

I use a T handle but keep tighting up bolts as the saw gets warm and or hot. That normally will do it.

Standard Loc Tite is only good to 300 °F, there is a hi temp version good to 450 °F , still probably not good enough for a muffler. Tightening when hot sound like a good idea.

On an airplane when they really want to make sure something will not come loose it it safety wired.
You would have to drill the heads of the bolts, but it should keep the bolts from loose.

This just all of a sudden started happening. I purchased new bolts so i will put them in and tighten down again once saw is warm.
Thanks.

HJsimpson said:
This just all of a sudden started happening. I purchased new bolts so i will put them in and tighten down again once saw is warm.
Thanks.

Once there taken out and put back in this always happens. Tighten once the saw is hot.

Try red high strength locktite. Thats what we always used on all chainsaw bolts. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.