038 chain won't stay adjusted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gapman789

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
The chain will not stay adjusted on this saw.
The sprocket/drum was a little worn so I went and bought a new one thinking that was the problem, it wasn't. I've used different bars and chains and that didn't help.
The adjuster seems fine. Nothing is stripped. The part of the case where the adjuster rests, isn't worn or 'holed' out. I'm not seeing a problem.

After adjusting the chain and tightening the side-cover down, as soon as I start the saw the chain becomes very tight whereas the chain either won't turn or sometimes it becomes very loose. It'll be tight then loose and vice versa.

Any thoughts?

gapman, I'm not sayin this is it but I had that on my husky once and it turned out to be a mismatch between the sprocket pitch and the chain size. thought I could run 3/8 spocket with 404 chain - NG. so I learned on that one. worth double checking.

drove me nuts too until I slowly turned the clutch and saw the links bind. Once I got a sprocket, ended up liking the 404 chain so much I added more sprockets, bars and chains to the collection.

maxed_out said:
gapman, I'm not sayin this is it but I had that on my husky once and it turned out to be a mismatch between the sprocket pitch and the chain size. thought I could run 3/8 spocket with 404 chain - NG. so I learned on that one. worth double checking.

drove me nuts too until I slowly turned the clutch and saw the links bind. Once I got a sprocket, ended up liking the 404 chain so much I added more sprockets, bars and chains to the collection.

I guess that's a possibility since it's a 'new to me' saw that I picked up.
I'll check into it now.

Hot damn, that was the problem.
I put a 20". 3/8 bar and chain off of my 036 on the 038 and cut up a few rounds and chain stayed right where it should.

So apparently the bar/chain that came with the 038 is the wrong setup. It's a 3/8 though and looks identical to the 036 bar and chain?

Oh well, seems to be working just fine now. I will be replacing with new just to be sure though.

Thanks.

you are welcome! glad it helped. now if you ever get your hands on some osage orange let me know.

Good call maxed out. I like easy fixes.
Gapman, consider trying a 8 pin rim on that 038 & see how you like the chain speed. A C

amateur cutter said:
Good call maxed out. I like easy fixes.
Gapman, consider trying a 8 pin rim on that 038 & see how you like the chain speed. A C

I was going to do the rim sprocket conversion but my local dealer didn't have one in stock and at $52, it seemed pricey.
So I just put a new OEM Stihl drum/spur sprocket that they had for $18 for now.

8 tooth rim is the hot ticket huh? I'll check into it for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.