039 is dead....New saw dilemna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
My stihl 039 that my FIL gave me a couple years ago has died.....I just picked it up at the dealer and the piston is shot....The bar oil part of the case is cracked too but that is an older problem. The crack was epoxied by the dealer but did not hold for long, saw was working fine but left overnight the bar oil would seep out. The saw still starts but wont rev all the way and after sitting all winter I took it out the other day and it started right up but just bogged down immediately.

What are my options as far as the powerhead goes? Stihl dealer said it is worth 20 or 30 bucks to him?

I was looking at the 391 saw priced at 559.00 I want to buy a comparable saw. Any ideas on a new saw? I want to buy a stihl because the dealer is local and I buy all my other stuff there.

I have a 20 on my 039 and I guess I would prefer to keep it at that but I guess 18" wouldn't kill me....I am not real knowledgable on saws. I want a saw that I can cut down the average tree with and for firewood. Realistically it will be used to provide 6 or so cords a year. from log to pile. My 039 has served me well. The dealer was saying that might be a bit too much for the ms260 pro. I have heard that is a great saw and all you would really need. ANyone know price range of that saw? Thanks

If you feel like rebuilding The 039 , baileys online sells a short block for around $130-140. If you want new, I think I'd look really hard at the ms261 as well .

Reactions: ScotO
Are you only interested in Stihl? If so, then I,d be looking for a nice used 044/440 since your used to the weight of the 390. Either way, there are typically some nice used saws over at arboristsite. The good deals go really fast though. There's a really nice looking 044 there now.

Don't hand it off to the dealer for $30. That would suck.

Either (a) rebuild it - new p/c, used engine cradle/oil tank assembly, or (b) sell it off on the private market and clear more money.

As for replacements, a used 044/440, 038, or even 361/362 should do you fine. Buying new makes me wince, what with how prices have hit the roof in recent years.

Reactions: ScotO and jeff_t
What size bar do you require? In that price range, I'd much prefer the pro grade 261.

I wouldn't replace a 039 with a 50cc saw, even if it was a pro grade saw. MS391 is a direct replacement but I'd be looking hard at the MS362, especially if you wore out a 039. ;)

Cracked case? Yeouch. Pretty much makes the saw worthless as a used saw considering it also needs a top end. If the cylinder was ok, I'd keep an eye out for a blown up 029/029 Super/MS290, MS310, or 039/MS390. It's the same case/chassis and blown 290's are about as common as dirt and just as expensive.

Reactions: amateur cutter
As for replacements, a used 044/440, 038, or even 361/362 should do you fine. Buying new makes me wince, what with how prices have hit the roof in recent years.
Knowing what I know now, I'll never buy another new saw. Probably not much of anything new, for that matter. I see clean 361s on craigslist around here all the time for under $400, 440s another $100 or so.

Reactions: ScotO
I wouldn't replace a 039 with a 50cc saw, even if it was a pro grade saw. MS391 is a direct replacement but I'd be looking hard at the MS362, especially if you wore out a 039. ;)

Yes, by all means, if he can swing the 362 that's the saw to get......but I'd still rather have a 261 than the 391 :)

If Randy ported that, then you know it was done right.

Reactions: ScotO and Nixon
Randy does awesome work.

the seller has a good reputation as well..... I think I have purchased an item or two from him iirc

That 361 would be a real nice firewood saw. I'll bet it would blow a stock 362 in the weeds. A C

Just bought the 391 this morning. Why? At least I know what I am going to get. Essentially, I replaced what I had. I was looking hard at 290, 291, 261 (which was not in stock) and I decided on 391. I basically got 45 bucks for my 039...may it rest in peace. If the new saw lasts as long as the dead one I will be happy with that. I must say there are just too many saws to choose from and the confusion from that led me to my choice. Now all my chains will work and I'll be good. I have already fired it up and tried it out. I like it. All in all I paid 566.00 with 20" bar for it out the door. To break it in the guy said just run the hell out of it. Which I plan to do with it. Thanks for the input and advice, I appreciate it. Boom Stick.

Congrats on the new saw! May it serve you well. A C

Congrats.
Yep, run the hell out of it, good fresh gas with a good oil mix & it should last a few decades.

Have fun & "Keep your chain sharp" ;) :)

Thanks, I used the saw for about an hour today. Ran well, cut well, and I am happy..a couple decades sounds good!

Just bought the 391 this morning. Why? At least I know what I am going to get. Essentially, I replaced what I had. I was looking hard at 290, 291, 261 (which was not in stock) and I decided on 391. I basically got 45 bucks for my 039...may it rest in peace. If the new saw lasts as long as the dead one I will be happy with that. I must say there are just too many saws to choose from and the confusion from that led me to my choice. Now all my chains will work and I'll be good. I have already fired it up and tried it out. I like it. All in all I paid 566.00 with 20" bar for it out the door. To break it in the guy said just run the hell out of it. Which I plan to do with it. Thanks for the input and advice, I appreciate it. Boom Stick.

You'll probably get much better mileage (Cords per gallon? ==c) from the 391 than the 039. You most certainly did not get the same saw you had. Better AV (much), wee bit mo' power, and much more efficient. Your dealer was absolutely right regarding the break-in procedure. ::-)

The anti vibration is real nice....was thinking about last year when me and my buddy scored a whole bunch of downed trees. While were bucking them up, I would have to set my saw down and scratch the heck out of my arms due to the tingling feeling. I love the gas and oil caps.....see through fuel tank. Nice saw. It will do everything I need it to do. I'm going to treat her well.

Status
Not open for further replies.