1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

041 AV

Post in 'The Gear' started by 19FarmHand78, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 19FarmHand78

19FarmHand78 Member

Loc:
    South East Iowa
    Local guy has a Sthil 041 AV for sale, 20" bar, shows 150 on compression test gauge, asking $250... good deal or not?

Been looking for a saw for larger bucking, wanting a new Echo 450P, but just found this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    could be a darn good deal if in good shape. compression is right.
  3. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
  4. 19FarmHand78

19FarmHand78 Member

Loc:
    South East Iowa
    Saw looks to be in great shape, not beat up and very clean inside.

Is the 20" bar correct for this saw?
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    20" would be a great bar for this saw, you could even go bigger if you so desire, but probably not over, I dunno, like 24"
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Depends on what you want in a saw. 041 AV is a 30+ year old workhorse. Does it have a chain brake? AV technology and fuel consumption are going to be way off the current generation of saws. New parts are expensive and that's IF you can get them. There is a healty used parts market for 'em tho.

My opinion is that it will make a helluva saw for bucking up decent sized (24"+) logs but be prepared for the saw to work you much more than a new one would.

Would need a picture to know if it's really worth $250 but if it's a very clean example, 20" bar is fine but that saw is capable of bigger.
  8. 19FarmHand78

19FarmHand78 Member

Loc:
    South East Iowa
    Here are some pics, Just talked to the guy and it is totaly rebuilt with a new carb kit, and all cleaned up. He tinkers with saws and is willing to take a Stihl 028 AV in on trade that does not want to run right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    smokinj likes this.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Looks pretty good. Wish folks wouldn't paint the bar, I like the clean, bare metal look. :cool:

$250 is fair IMO but you should be aware that you can pick up a 034 Super or 036 for that kind of change and I think you'd like that better.
  10. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    where are you at in SE Iowa? do you have an 028?

I wouldn't mind that 041, but I don't know that I'd want it to be my only saw. I like chain brakes for my regular use saws.
  11. 19FarmHand78

19FarmHand78 Member

Loc:
    South East Iowa
    I'm looking for a bigger saw to use on the bigger stuff I buck up, I've got 3 logs at the house right now between 24" and 36", most everything I cut is in the 10"-20" range. But a buddy of mine wants me to clean up his field edges, I have not been on the farm yet, but he says there is some "huge" trees he wants taken out, I was on the farm 2 years ago spraying soybeans and if he is taking about the big Oaks at the north end, then yeah they are huge, 36"+ and gnarly, but if he is only taking about the Honey Locust, then they are in the 20"-24" but I would like to be ready for anything I get told to cut.

Ive got 2 028 AV's right now that do not want to run, one I had looked at by my Echo dealer, he is a long time friend of mine, and he thought it might have a burnt piston, the other we have not looked at yet. I've been doing all my cutting so far with my lil ol' Poulan Pro 3516, it works me way to hard compared to the Echo's and Stihl's I have run. My thinking was to find a bigger saw, rebuild one of the 028AV's with a 18" bar, and use the Poulan for limbing and clean up. I love the Echo CS450P, but at $350 is a lil more then I want to spend, then I found this 041 and thought well if I can get it for $200 or less with a trade in, then I might go that way, but if I think about it, Spending the $350 then selling a rebuilt 028AV might be my best bet.
  12. 19FarmHand78

19FarmHand78 Member

Loc:
    South East Iowa
    I'm in the Fairfield are, north west of Burlington by and hour and a half or so, and yes I have 2= 028 one runs crappy and the other will not run.
    Danno77 likes this.
  13. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I don't think you can lose no matter what way you decide to go.
  14. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    What is a low hour very nice running and clean 041 farm boss worth?
  15. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I dunno, something like <300 for a pristine one. Maybe $275, similar sized 036 maybe $350.