044 over heats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like red said this would only matter if it was tuned at like 32:1 and he mixes 50:1 maybe even more extreme like 24:1. There is basically no difference between 40:1 and 50:1

Ok, so I guess the point that I was trying to make is that it wouldnt hurt to adjust the carb for the current mix, since we dont know what the previous ratio was, and it just eliminates one variable of many if the saw is truly running lean.

Ok, so I guess the point that I was trying to make is that it wouldnt hurt to adjust the carb for the current mix, since we dont know what the previous ratio was, and it just eliminates one variable of many if the saw is truly running lean.

It's not the premix ratio. Period. From 30:1-50:1 no carb ever devised by mortal hands can distinguish. If the saw is tuned lean it's tuned lean for any reasonable premix ratio. So chasing that phantom does not eliminate any variables. It compounds them.

I'd bet that there is an obstruction in the Carb or some Carb issue or that there: is a scrored piston in that thing.

So I basically took the saw apart today. I did not tune the carb, because I am ignorant in that area. However, I used a wire brush to clean a lot of stuck on saw dust out of a lot of nooks and crannys, cleaned the air filter, wire brushed the spark plug, and put on a brand new blade One/a combination of these things solved my issue.

No more smoke, no more hot saw, cut like butter. I did notice that if I set the saw down while moving a log etc for more than a few seconds it would quit. But it would start right back up no problems with just one pull. Don't know if that is a symptom of anything but it was working well.

Reactions: Ashful
Your chain may have been so dull you were overworking the saw and smoking the bar/ chain oil off of it??

You may just have to increase your LA screw which is the idle speed screw so that it stays running. Or it could need a total adjustment. The L screw which is the low speed jet also has control over idle speed somewhat. Its not how u set idle but its setting does effect idle speed. Point is if its set to rich or to lean you can end up with a slow idle at some point usually to lean is a faster idle but it adjusted to lean and the idle speed bumped down with it can cause it to cur out. But if it does not bog when you throttle it up or delay for a second I doubt the L screw is too lean.

I want to thank all of you that read and posted with regard to my post. I cleaned, blew out and adjusted till I thought my arm would fall off. The saw was FILTHY. Got gobs out that would fill a peach basket. Nothing worked so I took the saw to a friend who works on saws part time. He found that the piston was in good shape BUT, the cylinder was scored in many places. Seems someone ran the saw with straight gas and only replaced the piston. I ordered a 52 mm piston and cylinder that should be here in a few days .
Will keep you Guy's posted as to my progress......Thanks again,
Mike

Hi
Don't trash your old cylinder.You may be able to clean it up with muratic acid.
The OEM cylinders are better than aftermarket.
Thomas

Reactions: clemsonfor
Anything i throw away is beyond hope,or i'm looking for it within a week

Reactions: clemsonfor
Welcome back, j! I've missed you 'round here.

Hunting season. Campers loaded and ready for opening muzzleloader. 12 inch's of snow on the way. Oh I will ride that out in a pop-up:)

Reactions: Ashful
Hunting with muzzle loaders? Cool! We're limited to shotgun in my county, no rifle. I suspect a smooth bore muzzle loader would be allowable?

I used to shoot trap with a couple guys who liked to use black powder. Sure was exciting, but they missed a lot. ;lol

Reactions: smokinj
Hunting with muzzle loaders? Cool! We're limited to shotgun in my county, no rifle. I suspect a smooth bore muzzle loader would be allowable?

I used to shoot trap with a couple guys who liked to use black powder. Sure was exciting, but they missed a lot. ;lol

In lines and very accurate. I carry 2 old knight 93lk's with 209 primers.

My cheap inline is pretty good. If u miss its you not to gun.

Reactions: smokinj
An update....like I promised: Had a Guy that works on saws teardown the 044 and replace the cylinder and piston with a new one from Baileys. Bought te 52mm set just because. After it was reassembled and tuned tried it out. Man...this thing is like a Light Saber ! Put a 20inch bar and new chain on it and shot through some white oak like it was poplar. I have around 200 in it with the purchase price and new pts and the 60 dollars my new Best Friend charged me......Life is good....Thanks again to all who answered my post....

Your chain may have been so dull you were overworking the saw and smoking the bar/ chain oil off of it??

You may just have to increase your LA screw which is the idle speed screw so that it stays running. Or it could need a total adjustment. The L screw which is the low speed jet also has control over idle speed somewhat. Its not how u set idle but its setting does effect idle speed. Point is if its set to rich or to lean you can end up with a slow idle at some point usually to lean is a faster idle but it adjusted to lean and the idle speed bumped down with it can cause it to cur out. But if it does not bog when you throttle it up or delay for a second I doubt the L screw is too lean.

I was happy to have a working saw so I overlooked your advice. Where would I find the LA screw on the saw. I am more of a tinkerer than a mechanic so i can usually figure stuff out even if I don't know the term.

Also glad to see OP is up and running too as i piggybacked on his post.

An update....like I promised: Had a Guy that works on saws teardown the 044 and replace the cylinder and piston with a new one from Baileys. Bought te 52mm set just because. After it was reassembled and tuned tried it out. Man...this thing is like a Light Saber ! Put a 20inch bar and new chain on it and shot through some white oak like it was poplar. I have around 200 in it with the purchase price and new pts and the 60 dollars my new Best Friend charged me......Life is good....Thanks again to all who answered my post....

Why would you do that?

I was happy to have a working saw so I overlooked your advice. Where would I find the LA screw on the saw. I am more of a tinkerer than a mechanic so i can usually figure stuff out even if I don't know the term.

Also glad to see OP is up and running too as i piggybacked on his post.
Sorry I missed this. Look on the air cover it will day LA screw and a hoke there. But if u pull the cover the LA is basically the screw that sets idle speed. The Carb butterfly linkage rests on its tapered shaft. Screw it clockwise to increase speed and counter to slow. You may have to adjust L screw if the saw ha. Been monkied with.

Status
Not open for further replies.