06-07 heating season wood pricing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hey all, anyone hear any wood pricing per cord yet for this season? Has it gone up much since last year? I am on the east coast (CT). I recently found some Oak for $100 per cord split and delivered. Sounds like a good deal to me. After my oil company told me cap pricing is $2.79 per gallon, I am tempted to make more wood storage room (skids) and get more than one cord of that oak. I did scrounge 1.5 cords already this spring, and that 1 cord of oak will max my storage space @ 2.5 cords (unfortunately).

$100 for a cord of oak sounds pretty good to me if its a full cord. Is it seasoned? The best i've seen here in Wis is $150.

Yes, full cords. The rounds are a year old, and he is splitting it this week for delivery sat. I know oak takes forever to season, but for $100 per cord- I am buying it anyway. I have a full sun yard where I stack it, so hopefully it will be ready for Jan-Feb coldest time of year.

paulgp602 said:
Hey all, anyone hear any wood pricing per cord yet for this season? Has it gone up much since last year? I am on the east coast (CT). I recently found some Oak for $100 per cord split and delivered. Sounds like a good deal to me. After my oil company told me cap pricing is $2.79 per gallon, I am tempted to make more wood storage room (skids) and get more than one cord of that oak. I did scrounge 1.5 cords already this spring, and that 1 cord of oak will max my storage space @ 2.5 cords (unfortunately).

If it is good seasoned wood ya ain't gonna beat that price. Come to think of it if it is good green wood you aren't gonna beat that price if it is full measure.

Grab some free pallets somewhere and lay it in. Even if it isn't ready, get it started for next year. Or for when you get to that day in March when the pile is gone and you start looking longingly at the wood furniture.

Lives there a wood burner with soul so dead
Who never to himself hath said
Screw the chimney
It's cold in here.

paulgp602 said:

I've been checking the paper here, and 150 is the average deliverd price.

Locally 185-200 for softwood , 225-250 for hardwood - true cords. However at our casa, 3 cords = $65 for splitter due to donated wood from our neighbor taking down some maple trees. We're going to add in some baby sitting and a gift certificate for a nice meal, so figure an additional $65. But $130 for 3 cords is the best we've done in a few years.

paulgp602 said:
#1 First alart is the "cord" realy a true cord. I cut and split all my own wood . If i could get OAK for $100. a true cord i would buy it over doing it myself . I would guess that at least 80% of the time if a cord is offered as hard wood for $100.-$130. its NOT a true cord. I have called on many , many of these offers over the years just to find out that is is delivered in a F150 size truck . If you read the thread on this by doing the math you would be VERY hard pressed to even get 3/4 of a cord on a pick up truck . The math also tells us that 1 full cord of ELM is 4500 lbs and OAK is around 5300 lbs I dont see anybody getting 4500lbs- 5500 lbs of wood on a pick up truck. BUYER BEWARE ! Again , if the offer is a true cord of OAK @ $100. than by all means ...........STOCK UP !

Around here a cord goes for $175.00 - $180.00 split and delivered. I met a guy yesterday that is selling mixed hardwood for $130.00 per cord. He also told me I could have a cord of all oak for $150.00 split and delivered.
I hate to buy wood, but I may just have this guy deliver a cord of the mixed to get me ahead. The scrounging around here hasn't been too good this year.

The guy said it is 4x4x8. He has an F150 truck with sides. He said he makes two trips with it for a full cord. That sounds about right to me. Of course I am not paying until the second trip is delivered. I asked where he gets it and he said he is friends with 2 tree guys that dumps the firewood length rounds in his yard. He splits it and sells it. I'll post a pic when I get it delivered and stacked. I have a setup that holds a full cord so there will be no guesswork.

Sounds like a great deal. I would stock up as much as you store or afford.

i would buy as much as you can store if i was you. once word gets out he'll be out of wood and/or jack his prices.

Look at it this way. What is the price for processed logs or what these guys have found.

100 for oak is a DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If You can afford it, get as many cords as you can.

You guys are lucky! One seasoned cord, split and delivered goes for $230 and up to $275 in Southern NH. If anyone around here has it cheaper, let me know!!!

Wayne

At $100/cord for Oak buy all you can afford and then get some tarps.

If you can keep it fairly dry top to bottom it will never go bad (never meaning 5 years , I know even stone decomposes)

This turned out to be a really good deal. The guy loaded his truck and each load was about 1 cord. He charged me 50 per load plus $5 for delivery= $55 per load. All split oak. It equates to about 2.5 to 3 cords. I felt guilty only paying $55 per load :)

why did he drop his price from 100 to 50? for that price you should buy 20 cords and resell it in a few months for 175. or cash and carry for 125.

He said that full cord was two of his truck fulls which by past experience it usually is, but after it was stacked it averaged to 1 cord per truck full. Maybe after it dries some more it will shrink??? He is about out of wood, he doesnt have that kind of quantity to be able to sell 20 cords ( I wish). I am in Southern CT.

I doubt that you could get a full cord of wood into the bed of an F150 without something giving out. I'd say 1/2-cord, max.

Thats usually the case, which surprised me once it was stacked. It was an 8ft bed, not 6ft if that matters. I will post some pictures later.

I have two skids per cord side by side=8ft long. the skids are 4ft wide and each stack is 4ft high.

paulgp602 said:
The guy said it is 4x4x8. He has an F150 truck with sides. He said he makes two trips with it for a full cord. That sounds about right to me. Of course I am not paying until the second trip is delivered. I asked where he gets it and he said he is friends with 2 tree guys that dumps the firewood length rounds in his yard. He splits it and sells it. I'll post a pic when I get it delivered and stacked. I have a setup that holds a full cord so there will be no guesswork.

The supplier said 2 loads to get a cord...Must have a few extra leaf springs on that F-150...My 01 f-150 4x4 has only 5 1/2 box due to double cab..when she is loaded, the arse is dragging.....about a 1/3 of a cord if stacked with tailgate down, no sides. Sounds like a good deal though...load up....

A cord is a cord . If he got you a cord in two shots then that sounds more like it . If it was two shots then you could of got more than a cord . "paulgp602 Posted: 26 July 2006 12:12 PM
Joined 2006-01-07 I have two skids per cord side by side=8ft long. the skids are 4ft wide and each stack is 4ft high. " Sounds like good numbers to me . I would get what i could from this guy . As mentioned before , "oak will last for a long wile" I have had oak on back up for up to 5 years before and it was great even after 5 years .

When i cut wood this past year i ended up with a little over 11 truck loads , after stacked the piles it measured 8.23 cords . Yes them ole' truck loads make the arse hang real low . I have stock over load springs on my F150 ( 8' bed ) Man , i need a F250 . I just ended up building a trailer out of a F150 , pull it behind the truck . Lets me get the wood spread out over two beds now and i can also get all my gear with me now . ( 4 chainsaws and all the P.P.E. , oils , tool box , cooler ..ect )

Status
Not open for further replies.