1 1/2 inch thermic valve ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
Do they make a 1 1/2 inch thermic valve for boiler protection? I see danfos only makes them up to
1 1/4.

I think you can get by with a smaller valve if the rest of your piping is 1.5 inches. The smaller diameter isn't going to cost you anything in performance, and it will save you money on the part.

I think you can get by with a smaller valve if the rest of your piping is 1.5 inches. The smaller diameter isn't going to cost you anything in performance, and it will save you money on the part.
Won't my return water have to travel through the valve to get back to the boiler which in my mind would cause a slight restriction. Maybe I'm wrong

I'm far from being an expert, but my understanding is that restrictions that don't involve long runs are insignificant. It's not at all uncommon to use a smaller valve than the diameter of the piping in the system. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody who actually knows what they're talking about will correct me.

Select the valve by the Cv number. All valves, any valve, any hydronic component that the fluid flows thru will have a Cv number. The Cv should be listed by the manufacturer in their spec sheet.

Th Cv is the number of gallons per minute GPM that will flow thru the valve with a 1 psi pressure drop.

Now a valve can allow more GPM to pass but the pressure drop increases as the flow rate (GPM) increases.

Proper design practice is to select a valve with the cv number to match the flow you are looking to move. Most manufacturers will list a pressure drop chart that shows how the pressure drop increases as the flow rate increases.

Personally I allow a bit of wiggle room in that concept as you will not alway find a valve like that with the EXACT Cv number you need. So you can flow more GPM than the Cv number, just be aware of the pressure drop, and the required pump to move the GPM with the additional pressure drop. Grossly over pumping will cause noise and undo wear and lack of adjustability.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-03 at 6.42.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-03 at 6.42.49 PM.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.