1-1/2 Tons time to clean.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I got home tonight and my stove had gone out. This was planned as it only had enough fuel to run until about 3 PM today.
I do this a couple of times a week to allow me a cold stove to clean it out.

I did the quick vac on the /glass/ash traps/heat exchanger/firebox. Loaded a fresh bag of Vermont's in the hopper and hit the auto/manual switch.
My ears were assaulted with a shrieking/squealing. I instantly shut down the stove and grabbed the stove tools to "open her up"
Once the sides were open I re-started it to locate the noise. Turned out it was my combustion blower.
I figured I was due so I pulled it out as well as the Convection blower and the vent pipe.

Pic 1 is the Combustion shroud with the blower removed.
Pic 2 is the Combustion Blower (note the build up)
Pic 7 is a side shot to show what was making the squeal/noise.
Pic 9 is the Convection Blower Motor side (Note the dust)
Pic 14 is the Convection Blower impeller (filthy)

I blew out both blowers with compressed air.
I cleaned the Combustion blades with Carb cleaner and scraping/tooth brush.
I cleaned the Convection impeller and both motors with Electronic contact cleaner and tooth brush.

I vacuumed out the entire vent path and the interior of the stove.
Gave the Convection blower motor a few drops of 3-1 Blue.

Put it all back together and started her up.

Now running a quiet as usual and pumping the heat out.

I was due for a cleaning and was going to do it this upcoming weekend. Guess I was forced to jump the gun.

This was after a Ton and 1/2 of good quality pellets.

Hope this inspires someone to get their butts in action and get that mid season cleaning done :)

---Nailer---

Attachments

• 2011 Dirty Stove 001P.jpg
    2011 Dirty Stove 001P.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 364
  • 2011 Dirty Stove 002P.jpg
    2011 Dirty Stove 002P.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 2011 Dirty Stove 007.jpg
    2011 Dirty Stove 007.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 2011 Dirty Stove 009P.jpg
    2011 Dirty Stove 009P.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 2011 Dirty Stove 014P.jpg
    2011 Dirty Stove 014P.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 364
actually, it don't look bad for 1.5 ton.

Question for ya Nailer - My Enviro Mini looks like is has a similar combustion blower. Was wondering if you use a new gasket when you put it back together, or just use something high-temp RTV?

Li Mini,

I use a homemade gasket material on my Combustion blower.

A buddy is a glassblower and he has whole rolls of a ceramic blanket product they use to seal the furnaces

I shape it as needed and hold it in place with Muffler cement.

I make up a new one each time I pull the blower.

---Nailer---

Looks good, Nailer. Now go out and shovel!
Got about 5 inches here in YarmouthPort and its still coming down. No school for me, so I will snow blow later.
Stay warm and dry.
Marina

Where's the ash?, you removced the blower to see it perfectly clean?, unless your pipe was blocked, i'd wait till end of season

Status
Not open for further replies.