1 1/4 or 1 pex in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grovenburg

Dec 9, 2011
[email protected]
I'm installing my econoburn in an outbuilding and have run 150 feet of rehau 1 1/4 flex-pex to the basement of my house. Will lose a bunch of flow by using 1" pex for my runs in the basement? Fittings for the 1 1/4 pex are harder to find and much more expensive. Thanks.

I think the guys on here will need some specifics of what you are heating, loads you are feeding off of the pipe you want to go smaller with, etc. What size pipes are your zones? Do you have a manifold your zones feed off of? What size pipe is the manifold?

I'm just putting a water to air exchanger in my forced air furnace and a water to water exchanger for my DHW. I'll be running about 100 feet of pex altogether. My exchangers are both 1".

Can you split the 1.25 inch into two 1 inch runs. One to each of your exchangers?

Fittings for the 1 1/4 pex are harder to find and much more expensive. Thanks.

For the 1 1/4" Rehau I used 1" barbed fittings readily available at HD or Lowes. 5 years so far and no leaks. I think about $5.00 each. Use two clamps on each fitting.

For the 1 1/4" Rehau I used 1" barbed fittings readily available at HD or Lowes. 5 years so far and no leaks. I think about $5.00 each. Use two clamps on each fitting.

Are those the ones they call "sharkbites" or something like that Don?

Are those the ones they call "sharkbites" or something like that Don?

They are the ones used to connect a well pump to the 1" pipe going into the well. They are barbed at one end and 1" npt threaded on the other. Come in steel or brass. I wouldn't use them for joining underground, but are reliable enough for accessible locations. Saves a lot of $$$$ for the Rehau recommended fittings and installation tool.

Good luck!

I bought fittings from lowes also and when I went to another supply house later for 2 more, I was told they were the wrong type barb for the application I intended to use them on. The same application we are talking about here. Don't know if the website will help explain the proper application but the company was CCAllis.Have a store in a reasonable distance and was able to speak to a rep in the store. The shape of the barb is the key for the application. Can't remember what shape was right but Lowes was wrong. 1 was a flat type barb where as the other was jagged tooth shape. Check out the site below. It might be a resource for you.

http://ccallis.com/

I bought fittings from lowes also and when I went to another supply house later for 2 more, I was told they were the wrong type barb for the application I intended to use them on. The same application we are talking about here. Don't know if the website will help explain the proper application but the company was CCAllis.Have a store in a reasonable distance and was able to speak to a rep in the store. The shape of the barb is the key for the application. Can't remember what shape was right but Lowes was wrong. 1 was a flat type barb where as the other was jagged tooth shape. Check out the site below. It might be a resource for you.

http://ccallis.com/

This is the connector I use for Rehau 1 1/4" pex.

http://www.completeplumbingsource.com/barbed-threaded-insert-male-cast-bronze-adapter

Donl, That looks familiar but to be honest it's been 3 years since I installed it so I can't be sure. My point was be careful what you use. Each type barb has specific applications. I do remember being surprised that after I installed the pex on the fitting, I could still spin the pex on it but it didn't leak. 3 years and still no leaks. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Well....what donl used is for black polyethelene plactic pipe. Guess what pex is P: poly E: ethelene X: crosslinked. Black "well pipe" is pex before it is pex. The crosslinking process makes it withstand high temperature without loosing it's strength. The barbed fittings would be OK to use on our systems due to the low pressure that we have with boilers. The flat barbed pex fitting is made to not compromise the pex wall for higher pressure. Bottom line the brass barbed fittings should be ok for the 1-1/4" pex, although not recommended by the manufacturer due to the lower pipe-to-fitting pressure rating (unknown/untested). Well that's my theory on it anyway.

TS

Reactions: BravoWhiskey
Well....what donl used is for black polyethelene plactic pipe. Guess what pex is P: poly E: ethelene X: crosslinked. Black "well pipe" is pex before it is pex. The crosslinking process makes it withstand high temperature without loosing it's strength. The barbed fittings would be OK to use on our systems due to the low pressure that we have with boilers. The flat barbed pex fitting is made to not compromise the pex wall for higher pressure. Bottom line the brass barbed fittings should be ok for the 1-1/4" pex, although not recommended by the manufacturer due to the lower pipe-to-fitting pressure rating (unknown/untested). Well that's my theory on it anyway.

TS
Taylor, Sounds like you know what you are talking about when it comes to PEX. I know I don't that's why I post the recommendations someone gave me and call it out as such. When it comes to plumbing, I'm not so bright so I get knowledge from people like you and Store Reps that come across as knowing what they are talking about.. In this case the Rep steered me right so I will pass along his knowledge he bestowed on me. Thanks for the info on Black pipe vs Pex.

I hope that I didn't come across as telling you, or anyone else that they (or you) are wrong in any way. That was not my intent at all, and if I came across that way I'm sorry. Suppliers and reps only can recomend what is manufacturer tested/approved. It's the same that we are not supposed to use crimp rings on wirsbo/uponor pex-a. Even though it's the best of both worlds as far as most installers are concerned, just not "approved" they want you to use their system and their components. Thats what I like about Hearth, we are largely DIY and can think outside the box and see what works, not just what helps the bottom dollar/gets us on the the next job. A reliable installation, and an efficient one can be two different things, often efficiency is not considered unless it involves a call-back for a repair.

TS

I used 1" pex on several OWB installs that I have done becasue that is essentially the same inside diameter as 3/4 inch copper which I plumbed the pex into on either end. 1" pex is cheaper, is more available, and you can usually find crimps and a crimper tool up to that size. Same with 3/4 inch copper... copper has gone through the roof, price-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.