1 1/4 tee to 1" pipes-does this carry same water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
I am making a header for my dual 500 tanks- I have 1 1/4 pipe going around my Eko, and was wondering if by teeing from 1 1/4", then reducing to 1" pipe on both sides of this tee, does it not keep flow the same, or do I lose some GPM? I am thinking two 1" pipes ought to carry at least as much water as one 1 1/4 pipe.
Reason for doing this is cost, material availabilty, and my tanks have 1" nipples welded in them. Thanks!

I think you will be fine. I'm piping up 4-500gal tanks and going with 1in into each tank . if your tank inlets are 1in it should work ok. thats how we piped my sons also and it seems to work great. I'll be having pic soon of mine
leaddog

I feel better now. Thanks Leaddog. Bet your temps up there are yucky.
I am wondering also if I use this same header to pull heat from the tanks, if my laddomat will push the Eko's water through that loop, and short the tank circuit. Cutting the Laddomats pump power probably would not do much.

Cross section area of 1-1/4 pipe is 1.23; cross section area of 1 pipe is .78, or for two is 1.56. Looks to me also that you will be fine.

I have a single 1000 gal LP tank, plumbed via a plate hx, 1" ports to 3/4" line, dedicated Grundfos UPS-58FRC 3-speed pump. Previously used Taco 007, but switched to Grundfos to see if the speed options improved apparent loading performance. Not enough experience yet to form a conclusion.

Isolation valves on pump, plate hx, and hot water filter.

Once pressurized and air out of the lines, has performed absolutely trouble free. I installed an air scoop on the line + air vents at high points.

Edit Addition: I use 3/4" black pipe + hot water hose for final connections and to eliminate elbows.

Good to see you back, barnartist. Hope you had a productive summer with the brush.

Sounds like you're getting your EKO 60 back online.

I think purger and air scoop are the same, but if not, someone will correct me. I added air vents at high points because on filling the tank and starting the system, I was getting air locks at high points. Take a look at the third picture in this link and I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. Some put in coin vents operated manually to meet the need to bleed air out of water lines.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17371/

Status
Not open for further replies.