1 1/4 thermopex fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Went to central boiler dealer to get fittings for my pex and all they offer is barbed fittings. there is enough room for two or three hose clamps on each fitting. Is this OK or should I try to find somthing else ?
Pex supply has fittings that use a clamp ring but didn't see a tool or rings. Any suggestions ?

When we purchased our thermopex this summer the dealer said the fittings like you are describing were for unpressurized systems and as ours was pressurized he sold us something different. I don't know what they were called, but they worked great. One end had 1 1/4" threads and the other end sorta looked like a pex connection. All we had to do was slide one end in the thermopex and over the pipe it had two pieces of metal that bolted together over the thermopex. The clamp part was large and we have had no leaks from them.

They make a heavy duty 1/14 pex connector that is brass that has bolt together clamp to form the crimp on the pex similar to CTS tubing connector and has pipe threads on other end to convert to copper or iron. It is way better than those pex crimp connectors. I'm not sure where to get them but check with pex supply or another plumbing outlet.

foamit up said:
JT, When i did first install i used CB fittings and two stainless hose clamps that i got off ebay. Worked great no leaks, but no pressure. Now i sold CB and am up grading. I found fittings here. http://stores.ebay.com/pex-tubing-store and crimp tool and rings here, http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-4-Pex-Crimp...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f659df4f
maybe this will help. Foamit UP

Seen the rings and tool but not the fittings. Must be looking in the wrong spot ?

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of a screw together clamp almost like a wide band exhaust clamp. I have 4 fittings for my 1-1/4" PEX I need to secure on. Although my system is unpressurized I don't exactly trust the worm gear clamps. I can go get 2.5" squares of steel or aluminum 1/2" thick, drill a hole just slightly smaller than the OD of the PEX in the center, then split the square equally into two rectangles, drill and tap two bolts into each side so that they would draw together when I tighten the bolts. That should be satisfactory for what I want and be an easily removable clamp if I ever need to change the length of my 1-1/4" PEX.

dswitham said:
When we purchased our thermopex this summer the dealer said the fittings like you are describing were for unpressurized systems and as ours was pressurized he sold us something different. I don't know what they were called, but they worked great. One end had 1 1/4" threads and the other end sorta looked like a pex connection. All we had to do was slide one end in the thermopex and over the pipe it had two pieces of metal that bolted together over the thermopex. The clamp part was large and we have had no leaks from them.

These sound ideal but can't find a supplyer.

This is the place where we purchased our fittings and pipe from. I think they would ship them for you if you want. You could give them a call and see. They were real nice people and great to deal with. They also let us get our thermopex in 5' increments so we didn't have to buy more than what we needed. The other dealer in our area didn't carry the 1 1/4" and only sold the 1" in 25' increments.
http://www.farmer4hire.com

Bondo said:
Ayuh,.... I used these fittings, 'n clamps,... No leaks, No problems,...
And this is the typical 12/ 20lb. system...

80.jpg

80.jpg

I can't find a picture of the Watts crimping tool at the moment, but it's Great,...
About $110.... Auto-crimp... No over, or under crimping...

Sounds like a cheap good way to go, but didn't see 1 1/4 fittings like this or the tool ?

dswitham said:
This is the place where we purchased our fittings and pipe from. I think they would ship them for you if you want. You could give them a call and see. They were real nice people and great to deal with. They also let us get our thermopex in 5' increments so we didn't have to buy more than what we needed. The other dealer in our area didn't carry the 1 1/4" and only sold the 1" in 25' increments.

Do you remember how much they cost ?

The chances are I'm going to end up buying the tool and the rings and going to town with it. When I'm done, I'll probably sell the tool to the next guy at a reduced rate. Crimp rings are so easy to do and pretty reliable.

I might look into the 1-1/4" PEX clamps to getting them made. I know a guy who works at a machine shop. I can draw something up in CAD and he'll make it at cost for me. That may end up being the cheapest route. Give me a couple days...I'll send him the email tonight and see how much these would cost. I might be able to get a dozen made and sell you the 8 I don't use for your connections. I smell a patent looming...

This is what I just ran from Boiler Shed to the House. 90' of the the 1 1/4" o.d., 4 fittings and the link belt (for sealing the core in foundation) about $1800.00.
Pipe is very easy to work with...of course I have nothing else to compare it with. I have yet to put on the fittings but is all pretty straightforward.

Watts Radiant R-Flex

woodsmaster said:
Went to central boiler dealer to get fittings for my pex and all they offer is barbed fittings. there is enough room for two or three hose clamps on each fitting. Is this OK or should I try to find somthing else ?
Pex supply has fittings that use a clamp ring but didn't see a tool or rings. Any suggestions ?

Used the thermopex, w/barbed fittings. Heavy duty s/s clamps, 2 on each fitting works very well. Presurized system. Gently heated up thermopex, slid barb fittings in, tight fit, gently installed s/s clamps. Almost 2yrs since install. No leaks!

Good Luck

Found a homemade crimper on e-bay for $89.00 looks nice and professionally made. You can change the head and use it for bolt cutters when the plumbing is done. Will probably go this way.

woodsmaster said:
dswitham said:

Do you remember how much they cost ?

I don't remember exactly how much. I think they they were something like $16 each. Just a guess though as I can't get to the receipt right now because of rearranging the office.

juddspaintballs said:
Is there more than one? I'd be interested too.

Ya there is ten of them. Just searh 1 1/4" pex crimper on e bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.