$1,200.00 for propane lat month!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PyMS said:
Since The OP is primarily unhappy about the COST of his present heating system, not so much the performance, it would seem to me that a heads-up comparison of the local cost of all other available power source should be the first step, together with the relative efficiencies plus installation and tax rebate (if any) costs.

Perhaps I missed it, but did you already list your natural gas, electrical power, wood pellet and firewood rates?

Once these numbers are on the table a discussion of how to save heating costs becomes much easier. Moreover, the results may sometimes be quite surprising!

Henk

Good Advice.
I would have chosen Natural Gas before pellets. The "cost per BTU" of Nat. Gas is cheaper than pellets here; but it is not available at my location.

A few answers to these questions would help.
When you mention "second floor" does that mean you have a two story house plus basement, OR two floors like a raised ranch or a walk out lower level?
Air tight efficient wood burning fireplaces heat well, are safe for 24/7 use and are not disliked by Insurance companies like wood stoves are. (If you have a fireplace? Where is that?)
No wood stove or fireplace which is appropriately sized will burn all day with once a day attention.
Pellet appliances (stoves/furnaces/fireplaces[like Quad Edge]) lend well to automatic operation and once a day attention.
Price? There are three things; Price, Quality, and Service and you can pick two.
Most appliances with legs (wood OR pellet) have smaller ash pans which require service more often.
I would leave a wood stove burning during the day when I was at work BEFORE I would leave it burn when I was sleeping IF I was concerned about it burning the house down!!
You are no doubt skilled enough to follow the installation instructions, but your insurance co MAY require a licensed/certified/insured installer. Some retailers will offer inspection to meet this requirement.
The installations we have done which may or may not be similar has installed the stove in the lower level and the upper level in these cases had the kitchen/living room/bedrooms and the owners have been happy.

Good luck

The dollar numbers you are posting seems really high to me... I say this as I live in a 1890 drafty farmhouse 3000-3500 square feet. Struggling to keeping the house around 60F last year, I spent ~$2400 on oil during the winter and burned 1/2 ton of pellets during the 2010 side at ~$125. With all the modern features you are listing, something seems off... what are your usage rates like in terms gallons?

Price can be very misleading, but it sounds like you are actually losing a lot of heat??

Just my 2 cents here, if it were my house, I would put a pellet stove on the main living level where I spend my time, and I would put a pedistal fan somewhere to where it could gently move some warm air to the upper level. You would be surprised at the amount of heat you can get this way, and the bedrooms would not be overly warm. If the stove is outside of the bedroom I have a feeling the rooms upstairs are going to be very warm while the main level is going to be cool or cold. It may not meet your qualifications for looks or asthetics but on the main level it would be more efficient until you can get a pellet furnace put in.

I also dont leave my insert burning when I go to bed or leave the house. Thats just me, some of us will let them burn and some wont.

I'm retired so my insert is burning all day because I am home but if I go out I turn it off. I have a natural gas furnace and it doesnt cost much to let it kick in a few times when I am not home or during the night.

Good luck...

I'm installing a pellet furnace and I spoke w/ my homeowners insurance agent first. They said no problem to cover it, just adds $32 to my policy per year, but I need to provide them with a certificate of inspection that it was installed correctly (regardless if it is installed by a professional contractor or if I do it on my own) I called my township and they require (2) copies of plans (mine are pretty simply drawn) and an application.

Amerigas Propane posted 165.2 Million in profit over 2,158,800,000 in revenue during FY2010. Their profits were down 3% from 10.74% in 2009, even though revenues increased 4.55%. Seems their cost of goods increased in 2010. Just one more factor adding to the upward trend in residential propane prices in the North East.

dwk44 said:
Amerigas Propane posted 165.2 Million in profit over 2,158,800,000 in revenue during FY2010. Their profits were down 3% from 10.74% in 2009, even though revenues increased 4.55%. Seems their cost of goods increased in 2010. Just one more factor adding to the upward trend in residential propane prices in the North East.

They seem smart like the wall street guys that took the money and ran. They would post little company profit and pocket everything. Then when things slowed down filed Chapter 11 and had the average guy bail out the company to keep it afloat. Seems like the gas companies do the same. I never understood why fuel companies like Exxon, BP, etc would post such large company profits. I am not surprised the propane companies run their business like the unethical financial companies. I can see propane hitting $4/gal soon. Yeah, 93K BTUs for $4/gal. What a rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.