1.25 pipe versus 1.5 pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
I can get both 1.25 copper and 1.5inch copper pipe at the same price (HD only carries the 1.5, local supply house carries the 1.25 for the same as HD charges for 1.5)...

With a 200K BTU boiler feeding my oil boiler 60' away, and a 500G propane tank 15' away, is there any reason not to use the bigger pipe? Tappings on the Tarm, and on the oil burner and on the storage tank are all 1.25, so I would need to step down..but with the bigger pipe, could I then use a smaller circulator such as a Grundfos 15-58 and save operating costs over time?

The price of the fittings may also be a factor. At that size fittings cost big bucks, possibly as much as $10 a fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.