1/32" nick in 1" wirsbo hepex boiler supply line leave it or splice it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
Hello-

During the install of my underground boiler lines last week a 1/32" deep (roughly) cut was made into one of the boiler lines a few inches from the subfloor in my new boiler room. I am using 1" hepex and am wondering if I should cut it off and use a coupling to splice or not worry about it? If I don't splice it now, I will not be able to later once the floor is poured as it will cover the cut area of the pex....

I'd splice it. It's not worth the chance, I recall some good PEX carnage from boiling temps and superheated water. Always factor in a worst case when at all possible, as my Gramp used to say "a chain is only as strong as the wekest link":cool:

Do you have access to the Wirsbo expansion tool? If so you can make a completely non-metallic splice that water will never harm if it were ever to get wet. I'd also sleeve it with some foam pipe insulation over the splice, Armaflex is great for this.

TS

That's kind of what I thought. Yes, I have the pex expander. Would you recommend a brass/bronze (?) coupling or one of their plastic couplings?

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.