1.4 and 1.5 ton pellet skids...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
A lot of the early buy programs advertise their skids are 1.4 and 1.5 tons per.

Does this mean ~70 & 75 bags per pallet/skid?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll save money buying a 75 bag pallet for 300.00 vs. a 50 bag pallet of Lignetics hardwood pellets for the same price.

Are the 1+ ton pallets mostly softwood?

If I get 25 more bags of softwood for the same money as 50 bags of Lignetics hardwood is it worth it?

Thanks for any help,

FG.

correct 70 and 75 bag pallets,depending on what brand of softwood I would definetly go for the softwood.

flamegrabber said:

I'm trying to figure out if I'll save money buying a 75 bag pallet for 300.00 vs. a 50 bag pallet of Lignetics hardwood pellets for the same price.

If I get 25 more bags of softwood for the same money as 50 bags of Lignetics hardwood is it worth it?

Thanks for any help,

FG.

FG,

Could you elaborate on where these early buys are? Also the Brands selling?

jay

Hey Jay,

Actually I read it wrong. It's 1.5 tons per skid but the price is per ton, not per skid. For a minute I thought the price was per skid, too good to be true I guess.

I was checking prices on http://www.pelletsales.com/default.aspx

Looks like I'll just end up buying the Lignetics for 300.00 per ton. Same money since I can buy them 2 miles away and drive them home myself, which means I can pick a good weather day to do it.

FG.

jtakeman said:
flamegrabber said:

Thanks for any help,

FG.

FG,

Could you elaborate on where these early buys are? Also the Brands selling?

jay

I believe the 1.5 ton skid is more of a shipping thing. If I remember right you only get 22 skids or tons on a 53' box trailer. You can't double stack them for crush reasons so the truck is only ever loaded half full. The 1.5 skid lets them ship half again more pellets for the same money in a fuel price sensitive industry. We saw the big skids quite a bit for the last few years but they seem to have dropped off some last season. It's just a hunch but I think handling and convenience caught up with them. It's no secret that you can just slide a ton pallet into a half ton pickup, push it full forward with the forks and drive carefully away. You can't simply load a 1.5 into a 3/4 ton pickup, believe me I tried it and it squats right to the axle so you have to break the packaging and redistribute everything which is a major pain. Those smaller skids are just a lot easier to deal with all the way around.

Good info Driz. I have a 3/4 ton pickup and have hauled 1 ton pallets of pellets with no trouble but will think twice about a 3000 lb pallet now.

Although, last time I did have 300 lbs of sand bags in the bed with the 1 ton of pellets and it felt the same.

But I will redistribute the bags for greater than 2000 lbs from now on.

Thanks again,

FG.

Driz said:
I believe the 1.5 ton skid is more of a shipping thing. If I remember right you only get 22 skids or tons on a 53' box trailer. You can't double stack them for crush reasons so the truck is only ever loaded half full. The 1.5 skid lets them ship half again more pellets for the same money in a fuel price sensitive industry. We saw the big skids quite a bit for the last few years but they seem to have dropped off some last season. It's just a hunch but I think handling and convenience caught up with them. It's no secret that you can just slide a ton pallet into a half ton pickup, push it full forward with the forks and drive carefully away. You can't simply load a 1.5 into a 3/4 ton pickup, believe me I tried it and it squats right to the axle so you have to break the packaging and redistribute everything which is a major pain. Those smaller skids are just a lot easier to deal with all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.