1 90 vs 2 45s: Horizontal distance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless it somehow changed your clearance to combustibles, then no, it would actually make your true horizontal section shorter or perhaps even nonexistent depending on how / were you place the 45's.

pen said:
Unless it somehow changed your clearance to combustibles, then no, it would actually make your true horizontal section shorter or perhaps even nonexistent depending on how / were you place the 45's.

I don't worry about combustibles as my stove backs right up against the solid masonry chimney.

My stove is placed as close to the chimney as the 90 would allow, so I don't want to gain any horizontal distance but I would like to try 45s for their draft benefit.

ah, I see now. Yea, being that close might make it a challenge. I was thinking you may have had 2 or 3 feet of horizontal already. Sounds like you have almost none. Might be tough.

avc8130 said:
pen said:

I don't worry about combustibles as my stove backs right up against the solid masonry chimney.

My stove is placed as close to the chimney as the 90 would allow, so I don't want to gain any horizontal distance but I would like to try 45s for their draft benefit.
Two 45's will undoubtably push the stove out more than the 90.

LLigetfa said:
avc8130 said:
pen said:

Two 45's will undoubtably push the stove out more than the 90.

Yeah, my mind exercise said the same thing...I was hoping physical hardware disagreed. Oh well.

Thanks!

Would 2 45's help the draft as the smoke path is more close to a straight vertical shot??

The gain with two 45's together would be minimal. When two 45's have a diagonal section replacing a horizontal section, the gains are significant.

LLigetfa said:
The gain with two 45's together would be minimal. When two 45's have a diagonal section replacing a horizontal section, the gains are significant.

I have 32 inches of vertical, then my 90, then 16 inches of horizontal to the wall, so how much would 2 45's help me?

Dairyman said:
LLigetfa said:

I have 32 inches of vertical, then my 90, then 16 inches of horizontal to the wall, so how much would 2 45's help me?

If you are not having a problem, then probably not too much. That's not too much horizontal. Someday if you change the pipes out it might be worth considering, but aesthetics also come into play.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.