1)Anyone ever use the grizfire, fire starters? 2) I bought my first wood stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinpa

Oct 7, 2008
SE PA
1)
I just came across this post when searching the "fire starter" subject and come across some interesting stuff about making your own fire starters. I'll try some of these after I have some experience with store bought ones, so I know what to compare them to. ( https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24261/ )

I also came across this thread in which most seem to like the super-cedars. ( https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23622/ )

I though for 65.00 I'd go ahead and just ordered the super-cedars to try and though I'd ask about the others....

2)
NOTE: I personally have just bought my first wood stove. I got the Quadra Fire 4300 to heat aprox a 1600 sqf home. Basically a rancher with a basement, 1/2 up top, 1/2 on the bottom below ground. The basement was not part of the forced air loop and is friggin' freezing in the winter. (old oil heater) My home has basically no insulation, other than the attic. It's block & 2x4 construction. I hope I bought the right stove. (?) My brother heats a 3500 sqf home in wester PA with a quad 5700 and has had nothing but good things to say about his stove, which is why I went this way with my purchase.

Anyway: I work with a guy who swears by the grizfire.com firestarters, but a search here, brings back no results. Does no one use them or are they so new that no one has heard of them?

They all work I suppose. The Super Cedars worked really well last year when I tried them. We sell a lot of Fatwood at work. That stuff burns well. Home made ones work. Personally, I just use newspaper, birch bark, and some furniture cut offs.

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.