1 chimney 2 liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

droptopjim

Sep 16, 2009
west tennessee
i have an old victorian home, i have a chimney shared with 2 fireplaces. there is a brick divider down the middle of the chimney. can i use 2 liners in this chimney to have 2 wood inserts.

Am I reading this right - 1 chimney, 2 fireplaces, each fireplace currently has its own unlined flu divided by a brick partition? If that's the case, yeah you can line each flu and run a woodstove in each.

Have it cleaned/inspected. If it's intact and sound, and the two flues are completely separated by masonry all the way up, then yes, you can line them both and install two appliances. Rick

liners must be seperated by 4"nominal thickness masonry divider

summit said:

Shhh. Don't tell the building inspector here. My two tile flues are one inch apart in that big brick behemoth.

BrotherBart said:
summit said:

Shhh. Don't tell the building inspector here. My two tile flues are one inch apart in that big brick behemoth.

Wythe walls are like teeth in VA. Rarely found.

:runs for cover:

cmonSTART said:
BrotherBart said:
summit said:

Wythe walls are like teeth in VA. Rarely found.

:runs for cover:

You are thinking of West Virginia. Newby sweep. What I like is the way the mason turned them they are six inches from the brick around them.

And that close together when one stove is already burning getting a draft in the second one is a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.