1 degree F on the way down to -7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
Well winter finally decided to show up here in NE. Wind chill is -20 degrees outside and we are nice and cozy @ 75 inside. By the Gods I love burning wood!!!!! I am glad I saved the walnut and hack-berry for when it finally got cold. Now it's finally time to hunt pheasants!

Bah, we're going to warm up and have rain all this week down here. Not that it ever gets very cold down here anyway. It's been colder than last year, but that's not saying much. Burning the wood this year has been much better than running the heat pump.

The pheasant hunting would be sooo cool. I've always watched it on TV. Looks like lotsa fun.

I'm jealous! It was almost 50 degrees here today.

I had a house full of company for Christmas with my dad's side of the family today and I didn't get to show off my stove at all!

With all the people here, the house stayed 72 degrees all day long without any help from the woodburner or the furnace!

-SF

We had 70 degrees and strong south wind here until 4 pm. The wind switched from the north and the temp dropped to 50 in 20 min. Now it is 24 here.

I don’t mean to complain. Poor Jeffman is sitting south of Ogallala and north (or south however you want t look at it) of zero. But a 45 degree temp drop in 3 hours is quite a change for me.

None the less the little Lopi is popping away from a cold start and sleet is beating against the window. Life is good. :)

Mr. Jeff, how do you like burning that hackberry? I have a load cooking as I type and it is doing well.

BJ64 said:
We had 70 degrees and strong south wind here until 4 pm. The wind switched from the north and the temp dropped to 50 in 20 min. Now it is 24 here.

I don’t mean to complain. Poor Jeffman is sitting south of Ogallala and north (or south however you want t look at it) of zero. But a 45 degree temp drop in 3 hours is quite a change for me.

None the less the little Lopi is popping away from a cold start and sleet is beating against the window. Life is good. :)

Mr. Jeff, how do you like burning that hackberry? I have a load cooking as I type and it is doing well.

I like the hackbery it is probably the driest of what we have, and it burns hot! I love it. the walnut isn't as hot but lasts longer then about anything I have burned yet. Next year I have a bunch of honey locust on the side racks, along with more hackberry and elm. I'm looking forward to that. :cheese: I have to watch the stove temp so she doesn't run away, We have some issues with the door and warranty claims in the process, but that's addressed in another thread.The little Tribute is cooking along nicely considering all.

jeffman3 said:
I like the hackbery it is probably the driest of what we have, and it burns hot

Same situation here. This is the first time it has ben cold enough to open the lil stove up and let it get with the program. It was 16 degrees here this morning with a 1 degree wind chill (rather warm by your standards today), none-the-less three or four splits of hack berry and about an hour later the house was 80 inside.

Back to shutting the air down again but it was fun while it lasted. Time to go feed hay anyway.

It was 3 degrees in K.C.Mo. this morning suposed to heat up to 14 today the furnace still dosent kick on . House stays around 70 and 2000 sg. ft.
super insulated 8'' thick foam walls.

It was blwoing yesterday over 30 mph and the temp was at 3 degrees and last night it went to -9.8 F and has risen to a sultry -3.4 as of now here in N.W. Iowa but it sure is warm in here %-P

Calling for -21 here in NE South Dakota, unfortuantely I was gone all weekend and could not get home due to the blizzard, so had to burn some fuel oil. I tried to keep my cool, but it was hard, got some good black locust for tonight. Had windchills near -50 yesterday, winds gusting over 40 mph. Gotta love the prairie.

Well, I'm ready for the arctic air to go back north. Our high yesterday was -5F and we went down to -20 last night (you don't want to know what the wind chill was--we might as well be in Siberia). We're not to break above 0F at least until Sunday and even then some forecasts are calling for our temps to stay abnormally low with highs in the single digits, lows below 0F and snow most days for the next 2 weeks. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have water pipe problems develop and that we don't have any major storms that knock out electricity while this damned arctic cold air sits over us. The longer it stays this bitterly cold, the more taxed all our home systems and vehicles are to keep operating.

That's a big 10-4, ditto for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.