-1 here this morning, NOW im impressed with Barefoots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy P.

Dec 21, 2011
Central Mass.
The last cold snap we had a week or two ago i was still test driving NEWP and it got down to the low 60's overnight in here. Ive since ordered a couple of tons of Barefoots and a ton of Turmans. The forecast was for single digits last night, came downstairs this morning to a 72 degree downstairs and a -1 on the thermometer. I paid a premium for Barefoots ($300/ton) but id say that kind of performance is worth an extra $25 or $30 a ton any day of the week. Very pleased

-1 here in S. Maine as well, house is warm at 68*

Where did you buy the Barefoots? I see that you're in Central MA, so I'm hoping that I can find a place in Eastern MA to give them a test drive.

Hubbards Farm in Princeton,MA. Great folks to deal with but im not sure how far they will deliver

Only got down to 4 here in the central mountains of Pa. Of our local pellets, I find Allegheny is my go to pellet for cold nights and days.

7 degrees here and running on Barefoots, house is 71*.

i've found Barefoots to be the best pellet for me this year..

burned a few bags each of Turmans and also Okies but find the
Barefoots are far hotter and really the same as far as ash goes.

for the heck of it last night i tried a bag of Spruce Pointe's
and got nearly no heat from them

Where did you buy the Barefoots? I see that you're in Central MA, so I'm hoping that I can find a place in Eastern MA to give them a test drive

Easthampton feed in western ma has lots of them

Andy P. said:
The last cold snap we had a week or two ago i was still test driving NEWP and it got down to the low 60's overnight in here. Ive since ordered a couple of tons of Barefoots and a ton of Turmans. The forecast was for single digits last night, came downstairs this morning to a 72 degree downstairs and a -1 on the thermometer. I paid a premium for Barefoots ($300/ton) but id say that kind of performance is worth an extra $25 or $30 a ton any day of the week. Very pleased

Just more proof that a good pellet should be in your stash even if its only for the cold season. To me they also save wear and tear on the stove. If you still had the NEWP's in there you'd probably have to crank it up and cause extra abuse on the stove. I'm a firm believer in keeping some good stuff in my stash. I only skimp with the shoulder season!

RidgeRunner56 said:
Only got down to 4 here in the central mountains of Pa. Of our local pellets, I find Allegheny is my go to pellet for cold nights and days.

I also liked the Allegheny pellets. But I can't find them near me. Really good heat and low ash from a pellet that doesn't get much chatter on here. Heck of a pellet imho. ;-)

Andy P. said:
Hubbards Farm in Princeton,MA. Great folks to deal with but im not sure how far they will deliver

I actually discovered them before I read your post and drove out there at 10 this morning. I live in Eastern MA so it was a bit of a drive. The guy who runs the place is a really good guy. I picked up 10 bags of Barefoots and 2 bags of Turmans. I have to say that the results are very preliminary, but after one bag, the temperature in my family room hasn't changed even one degree from when I was burning the Green Supremes. If that continues to be the case, I'll stick with the Green Supremes, given they are 50% cheapers than the Barefoots!

Used Barefoots last year, was very surprised how H O T they were !
Had to shut stove down more than a few times as it was almost unbearable.
Definitely worth the premium price.

Enigma869 said:
Where did you buy the Barefoots? I see that you're in Central MA, so I'm hoping that I can find a place in Eastern MA to give them a test drive.

Pellets direct in Uxbridge, mass. has them. I believe they deliver within an 80 mile radius. They charge $60 flat rate no matter how many tons you get. I'm trying out the Barefoot's my self and I can agree that they are very hot. They are the most expensive ones you can buy at Pellets Direct. The only thing I have noticed with the Barefoot's is every once in awhile I hear a pop like noise coming from the chimney. This is the 1st time I've heard this from any of the pellets I'm testing. I've only had the stove 3 weeks and have tried every pellet on their site (http://pelletsdirect.com/index.htm) They are only 20 minutes from my house so I went up and got a couple of bags of everything they had. Only the lingetics put out as much heat as the Barefoots... and the Geneva was equal in heat but left a white sticky residue on the glass which took a sponge to get off.

RidgeRunner56 said:

absolutely tropical!

Lousyweather said:
RidgeRunner56 said:

absolutely tropical!

But, but, that ain't how it is supposed to work LW ;-) .

I've only run my pellet stove for one week and have burned only Barefoots. I'm in exploratory phase and have nothing to compare them to, but I'm happy with them. But I get dark ash -- certainly not the light, greyish ash I've seen in pictures here. It's not hard, and it's not overwhelming or anything, but it is black. Today I bought 2 bags each of Lignetics (green label), Dry Creek, and New England Wood Pellets. So I'll be comparing to see what is what.

Status
Not open for further replies.