1 log. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
1 log (Doug Fir) cut into 13 rounds (16") came out to just about a cord today.

I need a bigger saw

That is all
I don't get the whole picture, BR.

is the 16" dimension the length or diameter? Seems it must be length....so what's the diameter?

Intheswamp said:
Bigg_Redd said:
1 log (Doug Fir) cut into 13 rounds (16") came out to just about a cord today.

I need a bigger saw

That is all
I don't get the whole picture, BR.

is the 16" dimension the length or diameter? Seems it must be length....so what's the diameter?

Must have been a good size to get a cord. Take a before and after pic next time, would be interesting to see.

Bigg_Redd said:
The big end was about 3'

The small end was about 32"

Yes You do! +1

so,

an average of 34" across = diameter of 17
length is 13 *16" / 12" = 17.3'

volume = length * pi * r * r / 144 = 109 cu ft

I have read in here that a cord stacked is 128 cu ft but given all of the air, it is about 85 cu ft of wood.

109/85 = 1.28 cords.

That's one big trunk

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
The big end was about 3'

Yes You do! +1

If it was sound & knot free,I'd mill that bad boy! 3 x 12 workbench tops for starters.... :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
The big end was about 3'

Yes You do! +1

If it was sound & knot free,I'd mill that bad boy! 3 x 12 workbench tops for starters.... :coolgrin:
;-)

wannabegreener said:
so,

an average of 34" across = diameter of 17
length is 13 *16" / 12" = 17.3'

volume = length * pi * r * r / 144 = 109 cu ft

I have read in here that a cord stacked is 128 cu ft but given all of the air, it is about 85 cu ft of wood.

109/85 = 1.28 cords.

That's one big trunk

I have a standard long bed which is 18" to the gunwhales and 1' racks and it was mounded slightly, so. . . 2.5'x6'x8' = 120cf + the mound. I figure it about a cord or so.

ss="spellchecked_word">Bigg_Redd</SPAN> said:
Thistle said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
ss="spellchecked_word">Bigg_Redd</SPAN> said:
The big end was about ss="spellchecked_word">3'</SPAN>

Yes You do! +1

If it was sound & knot free,I'd mill that bad boy! 3 x 12 workbench tops for starters.... :ss="spellchecked_word">coolgrin</SPAN>:

It was a beautiful log too. Knot and rot free with very dense and distorted grain.

I would have made a bad @ss chix coop! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.