1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

1 month and 25 bags before cleaning?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by shtrdave, Jan 29, 2013.

1. shtrdave

shtrdave Member

Loc:
    SW PA
    I came home and it was nice today so I decided to clean the stove it has been a month, and 25 bags, the ash pan was full.

I know different pellets make different amounts of ash, the dealer told me the pan would hold a ton of pellet ash, but I don't see that happening.

Does this sound reasonable to get that much from 25 bags. I and using the pellets made by the lumber company close to the stove dealer.

I am glad I made this investment, it is a great addition to my little cave.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Premium pellet ash content has a 5 to 1 range and each brands ash may windup in a different part of the stove.
  3. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I get 3 weeks before my ash pan is full. I don't worry too much about ash unless it's really excessive. So I'm guessing normal operation I can get around 35 bags though the stove before I need to empty the pan.
  4. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    I can get about 40 bags worth of ash in my ash pan. And that's not with the super premium pellets.
  5. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I suffer from Ash Pan Envy, my little old P35i only holds about 12 days (between 20 and 30 bags) of ash. Good news is that it is light and fluffy and easily handled by my Cheatah
  6. humphreydog

humphreydog Member

Loc:
    Longisland, NY
    WTF? Someone please remind me next season not to buy big box crappy pellets! 4 day maximum for me before ash pan fills up and burn pot is filled with coal.

70 more bags of "North American Pellets" torture.
  7. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    For fifty bucks a ton I can empty the ash pan twice!
    Bigjim13 likes this.
  8. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Cleaned mine after work since it was warm. It's been about 25 days since my last cleaning. Ash pan was an inch from the top full.
  9. 3500P

3500P New Member

Last year I burned only Country Boy White Lightning and barely ever had to empty pan, maybe once every couple months and I burn over a ton a month. This years batch of the same is a lot of ash. Seems every few weeks or sonner I gotta empty it.
  10. Bigjim13

Bigjim13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    I can go awhile, never counted how many bags I can go through before needing to empty the ash pan. I was also told I could burn a ton before emptying and so far that seems about right, + or - 5 bags or so. My P61 is a beast.