1 thermostat for Central Boiler 6048 w electric heat pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prosecond

Nov 28, 2010
Southern Ohio
I installed a Central Boiler 6048 last fall. I had to install a generic thermostat to control the boiler. I wired the new thermostat to the old thermostat that controls an electic heat pump with an electic furnace for back up. I want just one thermostat instead of the two I currently have. Is there such a thermostat that can control the heat pump, electric furnace, and the boiler?

I have only one thermostat controlling my hardy h2 and heat pump/electric furnace. I simply wired the two low voltage wires that energize my boiler pump to the AUX side of my thermostat switch. Now when the thermostat is set to AUX the boiler keeps the house to temp. If I switch it back over to heat the heat pump takes over with the electric strips kicking in as needed.

Not all thermostats will do this easily. For example I had a simple Honeywell tstat wired this way but the electric strips would still engage when the boiler kicked on unless you completely disconnected them at the back of the unit.

If this is the kind of setup you are looking for I will take a picture of the thermostat I used.

I have one thermostat. Have a aquastat set to not allow ignition of the propane unless the incoming water from the boiler is less than 130 degrees.

2aa57013ac11931317f7d64a111eb8a3.jpg
Tstat set to EMER the boiler is heating switch to heat and the pump takes over.