1 ton Bulk Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgerek

Nov 25, 2014
Rubicon WI
Just wondering has anybody bought pellets this way? I have a skid steer and a 360bu Gravity Box from when I burned corn. I am all setup with hoppers in basement and a window shoot for entry into the house. Any Ideas. Right now I can get 1 ton in 40lb bags of Rib Mountain Softwood for 210.00, I asked my pellet guy to find the price of bulk bags.

I buy mine bulk. I pull my gravity box to the dealer and they fill it up. It saves me $20 per ton. I can fit just over 5 ton in my small gravity box.

If you are set up already to handle bulk and there is enough of a cost savings versus bagged, go for it.

I would be concerned if your skid steer would be able to handle a one ton bulk bag. It takes a pretty large skid steer to handle that kind of weight.

Are planning on filling your gravity box with the bulk bags or just storing them until you need them?

Empty and store for the winter, Skid is JD 8875 can handle 2400lb, do you have your gravity box inside or outdoors? I have a box with a roll top cover, what about moisture I know it kills pellets do you have any problems? Where do you get the pellets?

I park it in the garage on the house. Just fits in my 9' high overhead doors. I have to let air out of the tires after I empty it to get it back out.

I buy from ESES in Dale. Have to pick up the pellets in Readfield.

If your JD is rated at 2400 lbs, you still may not be able to pick up the bulk bag because the weight is not all right next to the skid steer. You may need to try to make sure it will pick up a bag before buying some.

Status
Not open for further replies.