1 ton pellets = 1.5 cord of wood? Where did they come up with this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an ideal world, we would all have a wood stove for those bursts of huge heat, a pellet stove for ease of use and daily constant temp burning, and an oil, propane, nat gas tri-carb furnace with 3 tanks so we could use whatever is cheapest that week to suppliment on top of our windmills, solar panels, and hamster wheel generators powered by zombies.

...and if all that isnt enough,.. no one has mentioned the ease of start up
Wood Stove: gather kindling (hope its dry)... crumple paper,... warm the flue,.. wait for draw,... slowly ad appropriate sizes pcs of wood to gain enough coals to cruise.
Pellet stove: pour bag in, push button.

Well, I think stove efficiency comes into play. If you have a P68, then yeah, it'll be burning efficient as hell from what I understand (reading reviews)...Now if you burn a 20 yr old Quadrafire? Not so in my experience.
I get pine off public lands for $10 cord permit (Yeah, Colorado.)
So I switched to wood. I'll find out what the difference is as the house took about 3 pallets (60 bag pallet), of Heartland pellets to heat last year.
It's all pine (lodgepole) out here for the most part, so pretty close on the BTU from the charts I've seen.
New stove is rated 75% efficient and 70K btu versus the Quad at listed 40k in the manual (vary with pellets, but I had to assume they found at least decently burning hot for testing).
I hoping to be able to keep the house in the low 70s mid winter, fingers crossed.
But I'm sure I'll have to burn a variety of stuff for kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.