$10 coupon at O'hara

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Bought a bag of ice at a store I don't usually stop at. They had O'Hara ice with a coupon on the bag for $10 off a ton of pellets, or $50 off a pellet stove. May be a good deal for somebody close. Seems to me it means their prices are too high to start with, though. BUT, that's just MY opinion.

the O'Hara Coupon!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in charge of the pellets for O'Hara and does $260 a ton for barefoot pellets seem high??? after coupon $250.00
We put the coupon on because we saw a a chance to advertise our business in the summer... cheap advertising!!!!!! Thanks you for purchasing our ice and noticing our wood ad.

compressedwoodsupplier said:
I am in charge of the pellets for O'Hara and does $260 a ton for barefoot pellets seem high??? after coupon $250.00
We put the coupon on because we saw a a chance to advertise our business in the summer... cheap advertising!!!!!! Thanks you for purchasing our ice and noticing our wood ad.

Seems high to me, yes. Just bought 3 ton Maine Choice for $225/ ton, delivered.

BTU said:
....Based on Jay's test burn results, the Barefoot had 16% more heat and 24% less ash than the Maine's Choice, yet cost only 11% more ....so to me, the Barefoot's represent a better value.......

While I think BTU's heat figure is off slightly on the difference between Barefoots & Main Choice ( I got 14% higher for the BF), the rest is accurate, and does indicate that the BF is a better overall value.

Plus, considering that the Maine Choice only beats out Infernos, Instant Heat, Presto-Logs, Maine Woods, Bayou, Corinth, and ACP (not a list I'd consider the "who's who" of pellet brands), I think the BF is the way to go IF the buyer can afford the extra $75/3 tons.

If giving less BTU's per pound and more ash to clean out isn't important, then the MC is the way to go. :shut:

Could be, BTU. I wasn't a math major in school :lol: Did the figures in my head....I must have gotten a little confused!!!! :cheese:

But either way, the BF is the better overall pellet when it comes to $ or ash amount.

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:

Hoss....you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Based on Jay's test burn results, the Barefoot had 16% more heat and 24% less ash than the Maine's Choice, yet cost only 11% more ....so to me, the Barefoot's represent a better value. Now, I don't know where you live in ME, but I do know that O'Hara is way east by the coast and probably has some of the most expensive transportation costs to just get the product to him to start with, so based on these facts, I think he is charging a very fair price for the Barefoot's. I'm not saying that the Maine's Choice are bad or anything, just based on the numbers IMHO the Barefoot's even though they cost more are a better buy for the slightly more money up front.

"Apples to apples", no. "Pellets to pellets", or, if you prefer, "Warmth to warmth". I heated my house this past winter with a mix of pellets, as you can see in the sig. Maine Choice was the best in MY stove in MY house. Frequently the Revolution ran 10 - 12 hours/ day on the lowest setting that it/s capable of. After dark, it would ramp up on the 'stat and down as needed. Some of the days would hafta open a window for a couple hours in the afternoon. Higher output at minimum feed would only make me open windows more. Never burned barefoots, or any of them fancy pellets, just wanna stay warm best I can. No disrespect to O'hara or anybody else, but I won't pay an extra $50 for the name.

hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:

Based on Jay's test burn results, the Barefoot had 16% more heat and 24% less ash than the Maine's Choice, yet cost only 11% more ....so to me, the Barefoot's represent a better value. Now, I don't know where you live in ME, but I do know that O'Hara is way east by the coast and probably has some of the most expensive transportation costs to just get the product to him to start with, so based on these facts, I think he is charging a very fair price for the Barefoot's. I'm not saying that the Maine's Choice are bad or anything, just based on the numbers IMHO the Barefoot's even though they cost more are a better buy for the slightly more money up front.

"Apples to apples", no. "Pellets to pellets", or, if you prefer, "Warmth to warmth". I heated my house this past winter with a mix of pellets, as you can see in the sig. Maine Choice was the best in MY stove in MY house. Frequently the Revolution ran 10 - 12 hours/ day on the lowest setting that it's capable of. After dark, it would ramp up on the 'stat and down as needed. Some of the days would hafta open a window for a couple hours in the afternoon. Higher output at minimum feed would only make me open windows more. Never burned barefoots, or any of them fancy pellets, just wanna stay warm best I can. No disrespect to O'hara or anybody else, but I won't pay an extra $50 for the name. And, BTU, O'hara does business in the same town as the guy I got the Choice from. AND, you may find it a fair price, but you ain't the one buyin' 'em. All about what works for you.

hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:

"Apples to apples", no. "Pellets to pellets", or, if you prefer, "Warmth to warmth". I heated my house this past winter with a mix of pellets, as you can see in the sig. Maine Choice was the best in MY stove in MY house. Frequently the Revolution ran 10 - 12 hours/ day on the lowest setting that it/s capable of. After dark, it would ramp up on the 'stat and down as needed. Some of the days would hafta open a window for a couple hours in the afternoon. Higher output at minimum feed would only make me open windows more. Never burned barefoots, or any of them fancy pellets, just wanna stay warm best I can. No disrespect to O'hara or anybody else, but I won't pay an extra $50 for the name.

Hoss,

If them Maine choice pellets are working for you. Run with it. You revolution is a self cleaner, right?

Also you might not see that much heat difference with the furnace. They max the blowers cfm's to circulate lots of air. This is to keep the vent temps down, Because of hot floor vents and burned toes. Your average temp will only be in the 100ºF range. Its a little different for us stove people we need the extra heat out the vent as our stove move little air.

If you could get a few bags of the BF's to see if they do make a difference in the revo. I would be very interested in the results. I am saving for a furnace that I can duct my heat to were I need it and the revo is hi on my list!

Supporting the local economy is a good thing too!

Status
Not open for further replies.