10-CPM heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
2nd year with this stove and love it. I can't, however figure out where the heat exchanger is and how does one ensure its clean. Any assistance is appreciated.

look inside the front of the stove. below your brick panel on the back wall to the left and right of the burn pot cradle. at the bottom of that wall you have a couple plates that have a screw at the top. these are the same plates your "ash dump" plates in the floor slide under.

what you would want to do is to remove the burn pot , then the brick facia (be careful with the facia it will be fragile) locate and remove these two plates, vacuum in there thoroughly. now, before you put the stove back togetherm take a mallet and kinda lightly bang the back wall of the stove where the brick panel normally would be. this will help to shake down any accumulated ash that would be clinging to the baffling inside that chamber, then vac it out again. after that , reassemble the unit and see how its burning, should be a lot more active if there was a lot of buildup

Hello

You can also take a long bottle brush or dryer vent lint brush and stick it up in there to brush it clean. My ash chambers are so big in my Avalon Astoria, I can get a 3 inch pellet brush in there from the top and really clean it out!

There is no "Tubes" if thats what your looking for. Its a small firebox, within a larger box and air blows between the two.

What Mike H speaks of is the exhaust path that the air takes. This slows the air and heats the back plate that the air hits first.

The EP model has "tubes", as do some older models (my Old US 25-5670).

Status
Not open for further replies.