10-CPM Installed - BUT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
Finally had our new 10-CPM installed after waiting 3 weeks for the hearth board. All looks great. I had done 2, 3 hour burn ins while it was out in the garage, guess its just part of the pyro in me. Well the install looks great as does the hearth board. While the installer was here, I put in 2 handfulls of Fireside Ultras and pressed the start button. Auger started feeding pellets, pot stirrer started its slow rotation, pellets started glowing, blower was purring and S U was in the windows. Soon, a beautiful blaze erupted shooting up 1/2 way in the window. Heat started blowing out the front and no smoke or odor was detected inside. Everything appeared great. BUT, soon, 20 minutes in, the flame started getting smaller and smaller, the hot air coming out of the stove started turning warm from hot, the thermostat in the house stopped showing an increase in temp. Now, 1.5 hours in, I took these pictures showing the low flame, not even making it to the top of the burn pot. Any suggestions?? I'm running it at 5-5.

Attachments

• 10-CPM001.jpg
    10-CPM001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 10-CPM002.jpg
    10-CPM002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 585
I'd hope you put more than a couple of handfuls of pellets in it.

ETA: Do you have that set to run on a thermostat?

I guess I win the moron of the moment contest!!!! Decided to turn the settings to 9 - 9 a few minutes ago and see what happens. WOW, beautiful flame, hot as the dickens and house is TOO toasty already. Guess that is why it has settings!!! I'm new at this but will figure it out with the ongoing info from this great site.

5-5 is still a little warm for this time of year. As with all combustion you need the proper fuel to air ratio. I am assuming that the bottom 3 buttons are all 1-1-1. I find that although it does give off heat at 1-1-1, I feel it needs more air. After a good cleaning I run it at 1-3-1 then change to 1-4-1 after 4-5 bags of burning. At this time I don't raise the heat level above a 2. When the cold constant 30's sets in I run the heat at a 5 and keep the bottom numbers at 1-3-1. It's kind of like racing your 66 impala all over the country. At cooler temps a carb adjustment is needed and again at higher altitudes. You'll get the hang of it. It's not set and forget. A little tweaking goes along way. Soon you'll find that this liitle Englander 10-CPM "Impala" has a 454 ci moter that wants to run. Enjoy the heat. I do

Thanks Indy. I was under the impression that I wasn't to mess with the bottom 3 buttons. Good to know there is flexibility. I did turn the beast down to 2/2 and still a bit warm.

We have a fairly large home as we had 5 kids - 4 females YIKES, with 6 bedrooms and 5200 sq. ft. I figured this way I rarely had to run into any of the hormonal rich children. I have now successfully seen them all fly the coup. When we built it in 2004 we installed a system with 5 zones so we could shut down areas as they became vacant. But even with this we were looking at a $6000+ propane bill coming this season so - pellet stove it was. Now with just the boss and I living in this home, and unable to down size due to the wonderful housing market, we live in 3 rooms like most empty nesters - kitchen, family room and master. Its an open floor plan with the master at the top of the stairs over the family room so we'll see how we do. The master is on its own zone so if there is an issue up stairs there is a remedy.

As Indy mentioned above, the 10-cpm has some flexibility in the lower 3 button settings. After speaking with Mike H. at Englander, the factory setting for the stove is supposed to be 1-4-1.

Depending on your set-up, that figure may be changed. My 10-cpm is currently set at 2-5-1, and burning nicely.

BTW, the stove install looks great, and I LOVE that hearth board...gorgeous!

CONGRATS on the new stove! Awesome set up! It looks amazing!! I am green with envy. As a matter of fact, so green I'm going to order mine tomorrow and will use your installer for my job as well! How much do you love your new stove so far?

hotdawg said:
CONGRATS on the new stove! Awesome set up! It looks amazing!! I am green with envy. As a matter of fact, so green I'm going to order mine tomorrow and will use your installer for my job as well! How much do you love your new stove so far?
I'd like to thank everyone in this forum for the valuable knowledge I've picked up.
The hearth board was actually picked out by the boss - these are decisions I avoid. It is a beaut.
The installers were done at 12:30 yesterday and we fired it up. All went well. I used the remains of the bag (probably about 25 lbs) I had used for the 6 hours of "burn out" while the beast was in the garage. Ran it a bit on all different settings to get a feeling for the output. It finally got too warm in the house as it was 56 degrees outside so at 3:00 pm I set it at 1/1 with the house at 73 degrees. Got up at my usual 5:30 this morning not knowing what to expect. The house was still at 69 degrees with a windy 38 degrees outside and the stove was still burning away. UNBELIEVABLE. I checked the pellet bin level and it was just about empty, so in went my second bag of pellets. To my surprise, the bin barely held the new 40 lbs. The documentation states a 60 lb capacity.
After night 1, extremely happy.

Something you'll discover as time goes on and as you use different pellets. Denser pellets take up less room and thus a fixed volume like your hooper can actually hold more weight in pellets with those than what you get with a less dense pellet.

All things labeled weight dealing with feed and hooper capacity are estimates based on hypothetical pellets.

Remember you can fit the same amount of glass marbles and lead balls of the same size in the hooper if you only consider volume, however that hooper full of lead balls weighs more than that hooper full of glass balls, same is true of the auger it feeds by volume.

ghandy131 said:
Finally had our new 10-CPM installed after waiting 3 weeks for the hearth board. All looks great. I had done 2, 3 hour burn ins while it was out in the garage, guess its just part of the pyro in me. Well the install looks great as does the hearth board. While the installer was here, I put in 2 handfulls of Fireside Ultras and pressed the start button. Auger started feeding pellets, pot stirrer started its slow rotation, pellets started glowing, blower was purring and S U was in the windows. Soon, a beautiful blaze erupted shooting up 1/2 way in the window. Heat started blowing out the front and no smoke or odor was detected inside. Everything appeared great. BUT, soon, 20 minutes in, the flame started getting smaller and smaller, the hot air coming out of the stove started turning warm from hot, the thermostat in the house stopped showing an increase in temp. Now, 1.5 hours in, I took these pictures showing the low flame, not even making it to the top of the burn pot. Any suggestions?? I'm running it at 5-5.

Great lookin' install!

My englander does the same thing.. Big flame at start up then slows up. This is from the burn pot loading up on pellets during the start up. Normal..

Don't be worried about a small flame. As long as it is producing good heat your good. I run mine on 2-3. It takes about 3-4 hours to get my 2100 sq house from 69 to 73 with outside temps in the mid 30's.

Currently 45 degrees and cloudy. Looks nasty out. Feels colder than it is. I turned on the stove this morning because I ran out of pellets in the hopper. At 7am it was 65 in the house. By 9am it was 69 and it has been holding steady at 71 on settings 1-8. I always leave the blower on 8. Why waste the heat if it's not blown into the room. Just did a cleaning yesterday and my bottom numbers are 1-3-1. Burning AWF pellets and my flame tips are about an inch above the burn pot with a nice blue color at the base of the flame.

Love my Englander.

ghandy131 said:
......I checked the pellet bin level and it was just about empty, so in went my second bag of pellets. To my surprise, the bin barely held the new 40 lbs. The documentation states a 60 lb capacity......

Not sure where you got that info....AFAIK, it has always been a 40Lb. hopper.

imacman said:
ghandy131 said:
......I checked the pellet bin level and it was just about empty, so in went my second bag of pellets. To my surprise, the bin barely held the new 40 lbs. The documentation states a 60 lb capacity......

Not sure where you got that info....AFAIK, it has always been a 40Lb. hopper.

I stand corrected. It is 50# pellet and 60# corn according to the web site. Don't know about the cherry pits but I'll soon be starting my cherry diet. Probably do to the density of the pellets as has been noted - pound of lead and a pound of feathers.

Thanks all - this is exciting.

When it's totally empty I get a bag and a half. 60 #'s

Attachments

• 290 altered.jpg
    290 altered.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 240
Status
Not open for further replies.