10-cpm noisy convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
My 10-cpm convection blower is starting to get a little noisy on the higher speeds. Anything less than 5 is fine, but when I'm running between 5-9, it has a prominent vibration. If I touch the blower housing, it seems to go away and run quietly. The screws holding the blower are all tight. I've cleaned and oiled the blower within the last month.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking there's not much else I can do except replace it, but thought I'd throw out a question to the pros. Thanks.

Forgot to mention the stove is an '09 model. My sig makes it look like it's less than a year old, but I bought it used.

Did you clean out the blades of the fan. You can accumulate a lot of jumk in there making the fan unbalanced. When you do clean it, make sure you don't knock off any balance weights (if any are present).

Double check the sheet metal panels that make up the outside of the stove. The side panels and back panel can get a little noisy. When I first got mine I had to tweak the sheet metal screws tighter or more loose and that helped quiet it down. When my blower kicks in now the side panel rattles a bit and then quiets down. I need to go through the screws and see if it helps again.

Just a thought to try...it might be something small like this.

I just went through a similar problem with my blower. I found out the reason mine was making that noise was because the cap (on my blower, it was the black top covering the fan) wasn't "crimped" completely on tight to the fan. I guess this was a common problem with some of these fans according the tech I spoke to. So if you grab hold of the cap when the blower is on and that noise stops, then you're having the same issue I did. I had to remove my fan (cleaned and oiled it while it was out) and crimped the four areas tight. Worked like a charm. No more ridiculously loud vibrations and rattling. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.