10 cpm problem with shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Presa canario

Oct 6, 2009
Central, pa
Woke up this morning with the E-3 error code. So took the burnpot and stirrer out and cleaned everything! Re-started the stove and now doesn't seem running right. The every 10 second air blow charge is now substantially louder. I also noticed that shut down took longer then it usually does...

I also am having problems now with the wireless t-stat not going into shut down mode. So I have to do it manually. The t-stat is full battery and is relaying back and forth with the stove.

Any thoughts??

Did you unplug & plug back in to reset the control board? E-3 is "unit overfire"....what heat range were you burning at? Burning pellets only, right?

I unplugged and plugged back in - doesn't seem to reset though. I kept unplugged for over 30 sec. Yes - E-3 is overfire. Pellets only!

Settings are:
bottom 3 buttons (4/2/1) - been playing around with them and trying to figure this thing out! Tech support suggested this.
Top 2 (6/7)

I noticed that after I received the E-3 code I am getting a weird sound from the air blower (every 10 sec) like normal it just sounds completly different then before, almost like it is gummed up. So I took the left side panel off and got to the igniter. Took all that off cleaned it and even took the blower hose off the igniter while it was in shut down mode and it still sounded exactly like described above. Again stove is 1 week old, and basically everything looked brand new. I have been shop vac. it everyday since its been on.

Now I know my wireless T-state is NOT working. It will not fire the stove on or off. I have no idea on this. It was working prior to going to bed last night, so maybe that is malfunctioning and had the stove "overfire" overnight? Is this possible?

I did the "learn" function with the wireless T-stat and the brain, and it is relaying back and forth to the 'brain' because I can hear it clicking - but nothing from the stove (stove stays off).

I now just have the stove pushed 'off', but that completely defeats the purpose of the t-stat - so I am frustrated and lost!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that the settings the techs told you are off, but try putting them to 1-3-1...that's what I've had mine at for 3+ weeks....seems to run fine on low settings (heat 1 or 2).

To me, I obviously could be wrong, but I don't think it's a coincidence that you had a problem with the stove AND the wireless stat at the same time. My suggestion is to eliminate the t-stat as a problem....disconnect it from the control board, and put the jumper wire back in and see what happens.

Not saying that's it, but eliminate it as a problem source for now. You can always try it again later.

EDIT: BTW, those bottom button settings seem more like ones that are meant for 25PDV or 25PDVC stoves. Just my 2 cents on that.

Well - isn't turning the stove on manually basically the same thing as having the wireless t-stat off?

did you get my email video Pete?

Well - isn't turning the stove on manually basically the same thing as having the wireless t-stat disconnected?

Presa canario said:
Well - isn't turning the stove on manually basically the same thing as having the wireless t-stat disconnected?

No, as long as you have a stat connected, the stove will start by pushing the on button, but after start-up sequence it will still be working off the stat....you have to disconnect the stat & re-insert the jumper to get back to manual operation.

No, no video....haven't checked my email in a while....will do now.

Ok - going to disconnect the stat.

To save time can I just cut the 2 wires going to the brain and connect them together? It's basicalli the same thing as putting the jumper wire in - correct?

Presa canario said:
Ok - going to disconnect the stat.

To save time can I just cut the 2 wires going to the brain and connect them together? It's basicalli the same thing as putting the jumper wire in - correct?

correct

Well I figured out the air blower is tight and not clogged. Just might have a bad bearring in it making the pump itself to sound loud. The blower itself still puffs every 10 seconds as visible in the burn pot!

So that problem is solved. Now why doesn't my t-stat work?

After removing the t-stat shutdown is still longer then it previously was.

the "stat" issue is the board being set in "high / low" rather than "on/off" real simple, stove shut down , unplug , plug back in , quickly after replugging in press the down arrows for both the heat and blower speed together (two fingers) and release, look for two "0's" to appear in the display , this means its in on/off , if it displays "H-L" then you are set for high low. the display will show what you have just set the stove for not what it was previously set for, so we want to see "0-0"

im curious why my tech had you boost the LFF so high also, if you overtemped you definately need to lower that setting , maybe 2 but i'd not go higher. also does your room fan run? is the stove blowing good air out the front?

Thanks mike! I will do the on/off setting and hook the wireless t-stat again! Your tech told me to bump the settings because I was not receiving good results from the front of the stove!

Most my btu's were going out the vent pipe discharge. So I was switching all over the place.

My settings are now:
bottom three (1-2-1)
top two (1-2)

mike can I email you the problem with my air blower? Sound is significantly louder. I took the complete air blower housing off and disconnected the tubing and the sound was still present! So I believe it's a bearing in the pump! I have a video of he sound!

Thanks for the reply!!!!! Especially on a sat. That means alot!!!!

The only settings I am getting following mikes directions is a "p" and a "c" no numbers or h/l ????

Presa canario said:
The only settings I am getting following mikes directions is a "p" and a "c" no numbers or h/l ????

Either your stove doesn't have the newest version control board, or your not pressing the 2 buttons fast enough....you can't wait more than about 4-5 seconds before pressing them, or it won't work.

Stove manufactured 11/2008 so I'm not sure about the circuit board. But all I get is "c" and a "p" and neither work with the t-stat. I have tried multiple ways even holding the buttons down prior to plugging back in.

Ok - I finally figured it out. On "p" the t-stat does work. On "c" it does not because it is high/low.

Presa canario said:
....I have tried multiple ways even holding the buttons down prior to plugging back in.

You don't hold the buttons down until AFTER you plug it in. Since the buttons have to be pressed quickly, I have a family member plug it in so I can be right next to the control panel (my outlet is on the other side of my stove)....works every time. When I press mine, I get either O-O, or H-L

Maybe there's some part numbers on your board that you could send to Mike to see if it's the original board, or the "updated" one.

No, must have not made it clear. I was doing everything and tried to do it after it was plugged in. I was just mentioning that I did it prior too, just to state that I did this multiple times and ways. I have the surge right there so I can do the plug in/out by myselft with easy access to control board.

Everything has been working (wireless t-stat) with the "P" setting. The "C" setting is the High/Low with my stove.

Presa canario said:
....Everything has been working (wireless t-stat) with the "P" setting.....
Glad to hear it.....was just a matter of time before you got it all resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.