10 days worth of creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Just curious how this looks for my first 10 days of burning for mostly overnight stretches. I have been choking down the air in order to get a longer burn that is a bit smoky which has discolored the cap and top section of the chimney some. Also, some of my wood got a little waterlogged because the tarps kept blowing off so I was getting some hissing and steaming, but most of it is good hardwood that has been seasoning for at least 18 months. How does this look for 10 days worth of burning?

cap_2.jpg

I'm in the process of buying my own brush and figured I'd probably have to clean once a month. Based on this does that look like enough?

There isn't enough build-up in that pipe to bother taking a picture of it. Button it back up and keep burning. When (if) you get 1/4" of flaky build-up all around the inside of the pipe, sweep it. Yer doin' good. Rick

No big deal . . . run 'er for a month or so of steady burns and take a look to see what the pipe looks like . . . as Rick said you will want to sweep it when you get 1/4 inch of build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.