10% Ethanol?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
Sure it's been asked before, but can you use gas with 10% ethanol added in a modern 2-stroke engine? They didn't even have the stuff last time I used a chainsaw. Also, what octane should I get?

I run the best I can find but thats just me. 93

Are you talking marine engines? If so add the green stabil additive. I have been adding it to all my 2 strokes outboards fuel. I have yet to have any carb issues since.

Just over the VT line up by Ticonderoga there is a place that still sells real gas. I could get directions from somebody up there if you would like. There is also a spot on Western ave at the bottom of the Northway.

In the meantime check out this list for close stations:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

Matt

Gendrons in Troy is right off theNorthway. The Ballston Spa guy is pretty far off the road. I don't think he would be closer for you.

Matt

I will not run 10% ethanol in any of my 2 stroke, it makes them run hotter, some people claim you can re jet the carb but why bother, get the good hi octane and feel good about it.

EatenByLimestone said:
Gendrons in Troy is right off theNorthway. The Ballston Spa guy is pretty far off the road. I don't think he would be closer for you.

Matt

Glad I asked. High octane, real gas it is. Thanks for the link, EBL. Ballston Spa is pretty close to me, and I go past that area all the time. Problem is he only carries 87 octane. Same with the Troy guy. Owner's manual for my chainsaw says 87 is OK, but I think I'll go down to Albany and get the 93 octane. How long will real gas stay fresh unmixed?

I only buy it in 2 gallon containers and run it through the weed wacker and stuff. I keep it in the back of the truck so it sits in the sun and I'm sure that makes the oil mixture richer over time. It goes into the lawnmower after about 2 months. I have kept non ethanol gas (not in 2 cycle mix) good for months as I try not to run the crap through the snowblower either. I use the blue marine stabil.

I use the Western Ave (Rhodes I beleive is the name) station. Coming from the Northway it should be just before the 155 intersection. Across from the Hewitts garden center and bowling alley. They also sell Amsoil there if you are looking for it.

Matt

This came up in another thread. I've been looking around for racing fuel. Found some today but it's leaded. Just sent a e-mail to a atv/snowmobile dealer to see if they sell racing fuel. I remember seeing 1-gallon gas cans in hardware stores as a kid. I went to a few and found nothing. I think when I ask if they have gas they're wondering why I don't go to a gas station.

EatenByLimestone said:
I use the Western Ave (Rhodes I beleive is the name) station. Coming from the Northway it should be just before the 155 intersection. Across from the Hewitts garden center and bowling alley. They also sell Amsoil there if you are looking for it.

Matt, my wife works in Schenectady. She just told me there's a gas station at the intersection of Hamburg and Altamont that sells real gas. I'll have her double-check that for me, or you might swing past and see for yourself.

Amsoil? Is that a better choice for 2-stroke oil?

Geez . . . guess I'm doing everything wrong then . . . been running the ethanol-gas in my saw for the past year or two now . . . maybe I should let my saw know that it's no good and will surely be damaged.

Honestly, I did a whole bunch of research on this issue when ethanol hit Maine and there was a real concern by us snowmobilers using two-strokes since the manufacturers today have really dialed these machines in to be as efficient as possible and no offense to anyone but I was a lot more worried about damaging a $8,000-$10,000 machine vs. a $300-$500 machine (not that I have money to spare).

In the end based on what I researched . . . and based on the experiences of folks using ethanol a year or so before us out west . . .

a) ethanol/gasoline is probably OK for most newer machines . . . but for older machines the gaskets/hoselines/other rubber-type parts may not hold up
b) ethanol/gasoline is OK if you use it short-term, but if you're looking to store it in a tank for several months it is best to add a gas preservative . . . preferably one that does not have alcohol in it (i.e. go with the Marine Stabil vs. the regular stuff was one bit of advice I had . . . I think I went with T-1000 or some product like that . . . can't remember the exact name.

As I mentioned . . . I went all winter with zero fuel issues in the sled . . . and zero issues with the chainsaw . . . for that matter also no issues in my lawn mowers, ATV, SUV or two cars which are admittedly four-strokes.

Now as for the octane levels . . . I used to subscribe to the "more expensive stuff is best", but in the past few months I've been running the cheap stuff with no issues . . . I think it is more important to use the higher octane if your manual calls for the higher stuff . . . and what is even more important is to make sure your gasoline source is good and reliable . . . in other words, no issues with water or other contaminants.

I use 93 octane (with 10% ethanol) and mix it with the best possible oil available, in my opinion Stihl Ultra. When a month is up I won't run it in my saws anymore, but it is fine for my junk trimmmer, blower and lawnmower. If they blow up, I can replace them with something nice!

I wonder why any one what mess with it in a 2 stroke, is it the only gas you can get?

oldspark said:
I wonder why any one what mess with it in a 2 stroke, is it the only gas you can get?

Bingo.... all gas in my area has ethanol.

HittinSteel said:
oldspark said:

Bingo.... all gas in my area has ethanol.
That sucks, I was told that about Maine but found regular gas there when I was there for my job. Is it a state law or something in Ohio?

Most of the gas in central IL is ethanol also, has been since the 70's. I checked the website that was posted for a gas station near me with straight gas, and there is only one or two, but not real close. Last year when I bought my new snow blower, the owner of the business told me to use the middle grade of gas (ethanol) to mix with the oil, as the oil can bring down the octane rating a bit. Of course, a lot of the 2 cylcel oil now has preservative in it already.

firefighterjake said:
Geez . . . guess I'm doing everything wrong then . . . been running the ethanol-gas in my saw for the past year or two now . . . maybe I should let my saw know that it's no good and will surely be damaged.

Honestly, I did a whole bunch of research on this issue when ethanol hit Maine and there was a real concern by us snowmobilers using two-strokes since the manufacturers today have really dialed these machines in to be as efficient as possible and no offense to anyone but I was a lot more worried about damaging a $8,000-$10,000 machine vs. a $300-$500 machine (not that I have money to spare).

In the end based on what I researched . . . and based on the experiences of folks using ethanol a year or so before us out west . . .

a) ethanol/gasoline is probably OK for most newer machines . . . but for older machines the gaskets/hoselines/other rubber-type parts may not hold up
b) ethanol/gasoline is OK if you use it short-term, but if you're looking to store it in a tank for several months it is best to add a gas preservative . . . preferably one that does not have alcohol in it (i.e. go with the Marine Stabil vs. the regular stuff was one bit of advice I had . . . I think I went with T-1000 or some product like that . . . can't remember the exact name.

As I mentioned . . . I went all winter with zero fuel issues in the sled . . . and zero issues with the chainsaw . . . for that matter also no issues in my lawn mowers, ATV, SUV or two cars which are admittedly four-strokes.

Now as for the octane levels . . . I used to subscribe to the "more expensive stuff is best", but in the past few months I've been running the cheap stuff with no issues . . . I think it is more important to use the higher octane if your manual calls for the higher stuff . . . and what is even more important is to make sure your gasoline source is good and reliable . . . in other words, no issues with water or other contaminants.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I've run ethanol through my tools. However I can pick up the non ethanol stuff without going too far from my house or out of my way. My wife passes the station I mentioned going to and from work. The one Battenkiller mentioned in Schenectady is new news to me, but if it checks out it will be about 6 miles from me... not too far out of my way for a couple gallons here and there. I could probably work it into my route if I'm careful. If you could run it, and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive, would you?

FWIW, I filled up the truck with ethanol free and my increase in mileage didn't make the increase in cost worth it for the truck. I feel it's worth it for the chainsaw though.

Matt

A little off topic but last winter I put a little ethanol in my old M, big mistake in about 10 minutes it ran like crap and I had to drain the tank and clean out the sediment bowl.

Not off topic at all. Ethanol is a great solvent. If you have an old saw it's certainly something to think about.

Matt

HittinSteel said:
I use 93 octane (with 10% ethanol) and mix it with the best possible oil available, in my opinion Stihl Ultra. When a month is up I won't run it in my saws anymore, but it is fine for my junk trimmmer, blower and lawnmower. If they blow up, I can replace them with something nice!
Does this mean it's not a good idea to use mixed gas over a month or so old?

Yes. 30 days is safe in my opinion. Maybe longer, but why chance it? I just mix a gallon at a time and if it's not used up in 30 days or so I dump out whats in the saw and use fresh mix.

Check to see if your oil mix has stabalizer in it. I bet a premium oil does. 1 month shouldn't degrade the gas. The only reason I get rid of mine after 2 months is the gas evaporates out of my mix since it stays in the back of the truck. The mix is probably pretty heavy by the time I run it through a lawnmower, etc.

Matt

For 30 years I have been keeping mine up to about 6 months, no problems gas related what so ever, that was with the old Stihl oil and have now went to the new Stihl oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.