1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

10% off Home depot

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by iceguy4, Oct 16, 2013.

1. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    Picked up a 10% off coupon on e-bay...gonna pull the trigger on 8 tons of green Supremes I hope I'm not making a mistake $197.10 will be my final cost.1576.80+ 11 for the coupon=198.48/ton the closest I can get is corran soft wood for $244/ton...$1952...$366 more for the 8 tons. Hope I'm not being "penny wise...pound foolish"...thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Well, they are not the best pellets....but for under 200 a ton I would buy them and burn them.
  3. Enigma869

Enigma869 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    My thoughts are different than many others. I've burned really expensive pellets and really cheap pellets. I've yet to see a bit of difference as it relates to the heat being generated. I buy Green Supremes (which are New England Wood Pellets) every year from Lowes for around $200.00 per ton and burn them in my Harman and couldn't recommend them more. I couldn't imagine paying $300+ per ton for pellets that give me no more heat than the "cheap" ones. Also, during my end of the year cleaning, my dealer commented on how clean my stove was, so I just don't see the drawback to burning inexpensive pellets. The one thing I will tell you is that both Lowes and Home Depot try like hell to avoid accepting that 10% coupon for pellets. They always use the excuse that they are "already discounted", which is complete BS, given I've never seen the price change on them at my local Lowes. Good luck. Let us know if they accept your coupon.

John
  4. Cleetussnow

Cleetussnow Member

Loc:
    Westchester, ny
    Thats a lot of green supremes. My own of point of view is they arent trustworthy in the coldest times. I would take gs for the shoulder season, and some curran sofites for the coldest parts of winter. Mix and match depending on weather.
  5. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Many harman owners do not understand why this is. I have explained this very point MANY times. Good to see someone else seeing these results and posting about them. Thanks!
    iceguy4 likes this.
  6. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I've been saying the same thing. That's why I bought the stove.
    iceguy4 likes this.
  7. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Here's a Harman owner that will NEVER put gs or NEWP in his machine. They are dirty cool burning pellets. Sure, turn your feed rate up and clean more often.
  8. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    :rolleyes:
  9. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Bought a smart stove, might as well use it right?
    iceguy4 likes this.
  10. trudd

trudd Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Agreed!

In terms of heat output there is definitely a difference, but I'm rocking an Englander... and I love it. It keeps everyone warm and the Harman was way out of my price range. From what I've read here though, people don't notice as big a difference in heat output from various pellet brands with the Harman stoves.
  11. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Kinda what I had in mind. It's worked pretty well so far.
    iceguy4 likes this.
  12. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Yes, not to say I won't ever burn super premium pellets because I have, but I enjoy being able to burn most anything. Typically I go for best bang for the buck.
    iceguy4 and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

Normally I'd say that's a big risk on 8 tons of GS, but the pellet boilers seem to be a little more forgiving. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
    iceguy4 likes this.
  14. Caribfan

Caribfan Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I suppose that depends on how much you paid for the coupon.
  15. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    I hate NEWP but I would NOT say they don't burn hot, just wicked ashy....at least the ones out of the Jaffrey plant. Never had a problem with pellet length or fines, and the bags are the best I've come across. VERY strong. Considering your limited options, I'd have done the same thing.
  16. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    In my vast experience (ummm 1 season with a 25PDVC) Different pellets burned differently. Some of the more premium pellet didn't seem to live up to the hype some certainly did. Like wise some of the inexpensive pellets were good some were just ashy crap being pooped out of my hopper..... and some were gold nuggets coming down from heaven into a fiery hell.

At the very least try em before commiting to a ton or ( :eek: ) 8 but it sound like you have. Hey if they work for you then that's what really matters.
    slvrblkk likes this.
  17. RKS130

RKS130 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, NY

GS burned great in my Accentra. Now I am in love with Fireside Ultras, which for the same price are much cleaner and put out more heat. But the bottom line is that I do not believe higher priced pellets are worth the differential in cost. I love Black Hill pellets but at $7 a bag they are not worth a small increment in heat over FS at 209/ton. Just sayin.
  18. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    HD may or may not take the coupon on pellets.
  19. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    I went to my store before I purchased the coupon...I happened to go to another HD yesterday and they also said "no prob...they will also accept lowes coupons. I realize this may change when I bring a truck...I'll keep you posted and if it flies , I'll post receipt picture
  20. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    8 tons of anything without trying it isn't wise.....just saying...
  21. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    worked...10% off!!! Jack, my signature says what I burned last year. Honestly could not tell the difference. Does any Harman owner have problems with pellets? My boiler isn't at all fussy!!!
    Jack Morrissey likes this.
  22. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Haven't had any "trouble" with any pellets I have tried. Although I haven't burned infernos... ;) I have just noticed difference in ash levels but with the large ash pan it doesn't matter too much to me if I burn ashy pellets. Do a cleaning every two weeks anyway.
  23. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    Loaded 8 in basement...one in garage. Thought it would be easy to unload with backhoe with forks...kinda hard... worked out good to be able to lower somewhat into the bilco doors. I thought all 8 would fit but the 16' body was inches short. This picture is of the second load of 2 tons being loaded IMG_20131019_172324.jpg
  24. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    IMG_20131020_065601.jpg lowering into bilco doors
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  25. petemal

petemal Member

Loc:
    LONG ISLAND, NY
    home depot stopped taken those by me. they say too much fraud