10 ton Manual splitter - anyone ever try one of these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
For sale on craigslist near me. Do they work, and what would one of these cost new? I have a fiskars, but not enough strength behind it to get through very much of the maple we downed last year. Can't afford a "real" splitter yet so I wondered about one of these.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/2066617730.html

3n53mb3pd5Q55T45U2abh61e3e6c663671375.jpg

3k23pe3o95Q05W05X3abhf68d4c9ecbdf141d.jpg

Looks like a lot of wasted time.. Who know,might work. if nothing else you can rig it up to be a apple press.

LOL. If they cost new $120 I'm sure as heck not going to try a used one for $100! Thanks much folks!

Unless that jack is a fast rise type it will be slower than molasses in Feb. Only thing slower is the model with the 2 handles you have to pump, great cardiovascular exercise units though. That one is kinda like one of the stepper exercise units. Get your self a 20 ton "H" press, you at least can use it for pressing bearings and such when not splitting wood.

I had one of those things about ten years ago. It was useless. Don't waste your money.

Jees, I own one of those HF 10 ton models and I think it's great. I have really abused it with oversized knotty logs and it still splits great. It's slow but does the job. THe best use I found for it since I bought the big splitter is keeping it handy near the stove for any bigger splits that made it past the 27T Troy Bilt. I would not use it anymore for processing large amount of wood but it has it's place in our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.