10+ y/o EF3 won't stay lit - need some troubleshooting advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman said:
Also, just for your information, even though CSH has motors in stock and they have good prices, read through this thread about a forum member using a Gleason-Avery replacement auger motor. He has had good results and the motors seem beefier.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34017/

I have also used the Gleason-Avery motors in the past without any problems, but their lowest rpm is 1.2 which may work fine in your stove. I guess it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend for a new motor.

I ended up using the last gleason-avery motor in an old Eartstove that needed an odd rpm motor. The factory motor was almost $200, but theirs was $90 with shipping. An obvious no brainer there.

Yah, i should have read better, at the top of the pv003 page it says

"PV003 1 RPM MultiProducts auger motor same as V003"

so that one will do the trick! Thanks a bunch!

This is kind of ridiculous: I was getting ready to order the new motor, but I decided out of nothing more than curiosity, to dissect the backside of the motor where the electrical components are housed. I took out the two screws and pulled off the silver bracket, freeing the shaft that the 6 tooth gear is on. This shaft has a cylinder on it that spins inside of a housing. I looked inside the housing, and since there wasnt much to really play with in there, I put the shaft back in. When I put it back, I noticed that it seemed to move much more freely. I thought that I had knocked a gear out of the way and it was spinning on its own, but then I realized that if i spun it enough, the auger driveshaft turned. I plugged it into the wall outlet to test and it worked like new. I have NO IDEA what I did to make it work, which is a little ungratifying after all of the troubleshooting I did, but its back in the stove now and, at least for the moment, the stove is functioning normally :) Like I said, I cant imagine what I did, but maybe if someone else is experiencing the same type of issue in the future, they can give this a try.

Hey, if it continues to work, consider yourself lucky....you learned something about your stove, AND saved yourself some $$.

But I'm like you....it would drive me up the wall NOT knowing what I did to make it work again. :lol:

Anyway, glad it's "fixed" (crossing fingers, knocking wood)....enjoy the heat.

You may want to still buy that new auger motor to have, because your exisitng motor is not long for this world.

Yah I did decide to go ahead and buy another to have on standby. Although it is working now, I have a feeling it is on its way out.

jshilko said:
Yah I did decide to go ahead and buy another to have on standby. Although it is working now, I have a feeling it is on its way out.

Great idea, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.