$100- $150 a month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So my pellet stove is costing me between 100 and 150 a month during the heat season. My electric bill in winter is from $200 - $250, since I have not used it, last month my bill was about $110
does this seem right? how much $ does yours cost.

The most I have ever seen is $20 - $30 more and honestly a lot of different things besides just the pellet stove factor into that $30. This winter I was paying about $90 to $110 for electricity and now I'm paying about $75 - $85

I did have one month this winter where the electricity bill was double (~$180); I started investigating and it ended up being our microwave. It had been acting strange for some time (throwing error messages and needed to be unplugged, barely heating food, etc). I unplugged it, dragged it into the basement, and next month the next bill returned to normal. Needless to say, we have a new microwave.

wak1954 said:
My wife claims that our electric bill goes up when we use the pellet stove. I'm not sure just how much.

Hard to figure this out, unless you have old pre-pellet stove bills lying around to compare. And even if you do, since the price changes, all you can really do is see if the # of KWH went up in the same months after the stove install.

Killawatt is about the only way to directly say an increase is caused by a pellet stove. You have Daylight Savings time where your lights are on longer. Colder weather brings longer showers using more hot water... You probably watch more TV since there are less outdoor activities, etc.

Matt

Imacman hit it on the nose, you would need the kwh readings from before you had the stove and compare with roughly the same month with the stove.

Don't go by your final bill alone, that will just screw you up look at the cost pkwh and the actuall usage and then compare.

mainegeek said:
The most I have ever seen is $20 - $30 more and honestly a lot of different things besides just the pellet stove factor into that $30. This winter I was paying about $90 to $110 for electricity and now I'm paying about $75 - $85

I did have one month this winter where the electricity bill was double (~$180); I started investigating and it ended up being our microwave. It had been acting strange for some time (throwing error messages and needed to be unplugged, barely heating food, etc). I unplugged it, dragged it into the basement, and next month the next bill returned to normal. Needless to say, we have a new microwave.
sounds right, for 24/7 running stove @$.20/kw

My electric usage for this past heating season was 510 kWh avg. thats with kids leaving tv and light on when no one is home.

Status
Not open for further replies.