100 AMP SERVICE IN GARAGE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
Can I install 240 volt, 1500 watts electric baseboards - 4 in new 100 amp service in 500 sq feet garage?

What else is going in there? No problem if that is the only load major on the garage.

Do you already have the baseboards? If not an electric space heater might do a faster job if you want to warm it up quickly. However, it will be noisier.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG74

Everything else will use 110 volts - power saw, TV, stereo. I just to keep it around
50 degrees F when not in use.

P=VI

240*100

24000 Watts at 100 percent

Baseboard will use 6000 max. So your ok.

I assume you will be installing a 100 amp sub feeder panel feed from your main house fuse panel?

what is the capacity of the main panel and how tapped out is it? You have to figure this out to determine if you can pull a separate sub feeder panel of of it
now if you are going with a completely new drop from the street you will have plenty of amps to run that garage
A side bar if you do not have a 200 amp main breaker into your original home, 100 to the garage is not a good situation

You have to look at the main breaker many times a 200 amp panel is used with only a 150 main amp in

Yes, I just upgraded the home to 200 amp, which has 100 amp breaker for the garage.
both panels have at least a dozen single breaker slots available.

Sounds like you're good to go.

Sandor said:
P=VI

240*100

24000 Watts at 100 percent

Baseboard will use 6000 max. So your ok.

Without getting into a "long discussion on 'load calcs'..." a panelboard (regardless of it's rating) 'design criteria' is 125% of the total connected load and can only be loaded to 85%...

Load a 100 amp panel to 98 amps...(or a 200 amp panel to 198 amps... seen it happen) and you "will have a few laughs".

But as to the "original question" I would say "yes it is acceptable"....

Is it OK to wire them in series or have them isolated one per breaker?

I'm sure you mean in parallel, on one circuit. It is not ok to wire them in series.

In your case, with 1500w/240v heaters, you can safely have 2 per circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.