100 beetle-killed pines leaning toward power lines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
We have never used a strap puller when felling "leaners".

We have 100% kill of all lodgepole pines over 8" diameter. Next week, my brother and I are going to fell all the "wrong-way leaners". The great majority are 8" to 14" diameter, and few are over 45 feet high. Most have been dead 2 to 3 years. The power lines are domestic-use drop lines (240V) serving several buildings on the lane. Here's what we plan to do...

We'll use the strap-puller to reverse the lean of the trees toward the initial notch cut. Even though the Voltage isn't extreme, in the event of a mishap we don't want a metal cable whickering over the lines. We'll attach a rope relatively high on the trees to be felled, attach the puller to the far end of the rope, and attach the other end of the puller to the base of a stout tree, or to the wood truck, about 90 feet away. None of these trees is anywhere near dense enough to drag the truck, BTW.

We usually use felling wedges with great success, but we figure that, near the lines ( some are within 10 to 20 feet), we want to make doubley sure.

In your opinion, are we out of our minds, or are we going about this alright?

Regards,

Dexter

Dead on Dexter use you wedges with the your rigging line....I will leave 2-3 inchs of henge wood (depending on how big) and use the wedge and line to move the tree in position when you know its going to fall where you want it just use line to finish it.....

I have a boat wench mounted to my trailer its sweeeet for felling trees like that you can drive a tack with this technique!

run your line on the ground and the tree will fallow that line and anchor point. Use a stright line on your saw to aim every wedge...

I personally wouldn't touch it, but you may be much more experienced than I so I won't tell you if you're outta your mind or not.
If you go ahead, know that putting serious tension on a tree can cause it to split dangerously (aka Barber Chair) during the back-cut. You can mitigate that by wrapping a chain or strong strap securely around the trunk above the back-cut level & also not going overly crazy with the puller.
Okay 2 more: Be sure all trees are on your property & not Right-of-Way. Wear a hard-hat.

Dexter, can you contact Excel and have them do a site visit? Mabey they can kill the power, or even drop the lines for a day. Let you drop a little safer.

Hi "Beetle-Kill"

We're in Mountain Parks Electric territory, but that's a good idea. If any of these trees look problematic, we'll leave'em alone until we have'em cut power.

Dexter

I might consider adding a second slack/safety line. Otherwise, a failure in your primary line is guaranteed disaster. With the backup, it would just be time, effort, and a lot of cussing.

Just an idea. Modify based on actual field conditions.

Smokinjay - where can I get a boat wench? Or better yet, just a wench? My current wench has become too civilized.

As to the Q, suggestions usually are not to pull a tree opposite of the lean; instead pull it at a 90 degree angle to the lean, or as close to 90 as you can get. And use wedges. Leaners are dangerous; especially kick back of the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.