$100 Craigslist find, did I do OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I picked this up yesterday from a guy on craigslist. He didn't know anything about and had only had it for 2 years or so. They never used the by-pass and didn't know it had a catalyst in it.
I pulled the top, it has a steel cat that looks new, it didn't even have any fly ash on it.

I think it will make a nice little stove for us.

Attachments

• dutchwest 2.jpg
    dutchwest 2.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 454
  • dutchwest 1.jpg
    dutchwest 1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 523
You did not do ok, you did great considering the junk I see on CL. I don't know anything about that stove, but it looks nice.

Awesome score...looks brand spanking new....you must have some good karma in your area!

Looks nice! I thought those DW's had a tendency to overfire if left in bypass too long. No?

Looks nice! I thought those DW's had a tendency to overfire if left in bypass too long. No?
Not more than any other stove with a by pass. They didn't use it much, otherwise something would likely be warped, but it's all straight.

Ha, I usually see only rusty old smoke dragons stoves for sell in our local CL, and even then they want $500+ for those rusty old things.
You got the deal I've been looking for to upgrade my shop stove........ I'm insanely jealous. <>
Good one ;)

Yeah, NEARLY every stove I have seen on C's list has been junk. (But it is how I found the Mansfield...)

Man I wish I could find a deal like this!!!

Good buy. It is an older version, the newer ones have stainless handles and trim. One word of caution, when loading do not toss your splits in and bounce 'em off the far side, this leads to cracked seams on that side. Don't ask how I know. ;em

If it is the 2460 (small) version you should get 4-5 hrs. of serious heat if loaded properly with hardwood and with lots of coals 7-8 hrs. later. I haven't lit a match here since early Jan. Enjoy your find.

Wow. Could you even replace a cat for $100? Takes "scrounging" to a new level...

Reactions: ScotO
Wow, awesome, webby! :cool: Is that a 2460? Did they buy it new? Why did they get rid of it?
Mine doesn't have the mfr. date, just a date code, but I think it's around '96. If yours has a date code, what is it?
I got a blower for mine the last year I ran it...huge improvement in getting the heat off the stove and moving it around the space. It was back in the fireplace, and that kind of amplified the fan noise. :(
Not a Cadillac, but I love that little stove and can't bear to part with it after all these years. I'll rebuild mine when I get some time; Needs at least a fountain assembly, seams re-cemented, and gaskets...
If it is the 2460 (small) version you should get 4-5 hrs. of serious heat if loaded properly with hardwood and with lots of coals 7-8 hrs. later. I haven't lit a match here since early Jan.
Yeah, overnight burns with decent output are no problem with the better woods.

Good buy. It is an older version, the newer ones have stainless handles and trim. One word of caution, when loading do not toss your splits in and bounce 'em off the far side, this leads to cracked seams on that side. Don't ask how I know. ;em

If it is the 2460 (small) version you should get 4-5 hrs. of serious heat if loaded properly with hardwood and with lots of coals 7-8 hrs. later. I haven't lit a match here since early Jan. Enjoy your find.
I have the 2461 (large). I'd rather have the nickel plated handles, but for the price,I'll make due.
I seems like you would really have to launch that wood in there to crack the side, I'll try to hold back on my throw.;lol

Wow, awesome, webby! :cool: Is that a 2460? Did they buy it new? Why did they get rid of it?
Mine doesn't have the mfr. date, just a date code, but I think it's around '96. If yours has a date code, what is it?
I got a blower for mine the last year I ran it...huge improvement in getting the heat off the stove and moving it around the space. It was back in the fireplace, and that kind of amplified the fan noise. :(
Not a Cadillac, but I love that little stove and can't bear to part with it after all these years. I'll rebuild mine when I get some time; Needs at least a fountain assembly, seams re-cemented, and gaskets...
Yeah, overnight burns with decent output are no problem with the better woods.
The guy that I bought it from owned it for 2 years, they used it to heat a space in there garage, like a deer camp. So they only used it for a short time each year.
He didn't need it anymore, said he paid $100 for it and just wanted to pass it on to someone else.
The code is 3358, so I think that is 335th day of 1998.

This one is nice and tight everywhere, i didn't even re-place any gaskets on it. I thought the fountain assembly was the junk part used on the non-cat? The cat stove has the flame guard and cat.
So what part are you needing to replace?

You got a great deal on that stove! That would be the large convection DW woodstove.. You will find they work best with a blower.. Easy to adapt an ordinary round flanged blower to it.. If you load up with larger hardwood splits such as oak, hard maple, locust, etc. you should get an overnight burn..

Ray

The guy that I bought it from owned it for 2 years, they used it to heat a space in there garage, like a deer camp. So they only used it for a short time each year.
He didn't need it anymore, said he paid $100 for it and just wanted to pass it on to someone else.
The code is 3358, so I think that is 335th day of 1998.

This one is nice and tight everywhere, i didn't even re-place any gaskets on it. I thought the fountain assembly was the junk part used on the non-cat? The cat stove has the flame guard and cat.
So what part are you needing to replace?

Fountain assembly is what the cat sets on top of. It controls the amount of secondary air introduced at the top end.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.