1000 gal. propane tank weight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anyone know the dry weight of their 1000 gal. propane tank?
I thinking about buying one for .40 lbs but the lady said they have not been weighed yet.
Also what are things to look for when buying a decommissioned lp tank

Huff

1750 # 1,000 gallon aprox. empty #10,080 full of water

940 # 500 gallon aprox. empty #5110 full of water

Imagine depends on the manufacture, but I would figure around 1800-2000lbs.

NATE379 said:
Imagine depends on the manufacture, but I would figure around 1800-2000lbs.

Yes it does vary slightly by manufacturer. I believe there are 4 main manufactures in North America. The weight I give is in the middle approximately. OUCH thats $700.00

Wow that is good $$. Last time I talked to someone it was under $100 a ton here for scrap.

Has anyone ever got in touch with a propane distributor for propane tanks? I'm looking into setting up a water storage a system but trying to figure out the most cost effective storage container.

I called a few when I was looking and no luck ,but one of them I called directed me to a salvage yard for tanks so it worked out good. Check with your metal recycling places.

Where in Eastern PA are you located? I live in Lancaster. There is a guy advertising in the Lancaster Farming magazine that has a bunch of tanks-250,500, and 1000.
I just called him yesterday. The 500 gal. tanks are $375 and the 1000 gal. tanks are $935. All the tanks are painted and he can weld the fittings you need-he charges T&M for the welding.
I can give you his name and number if you PM me.

bigburner said:
scrap here is .11 or less a pound. That is want I would offer.

I got hold of a propane supplier after talking to the recycler he told me he would sell me one for the same price he would get from the recycler which is around $300 .
Recycle tried to fleece me.

huffdawg said:
bigburner said:
scrap here is .11 or less a pound. That is want I would offer.

I got hold of a propane supplier after talking to the recycler he told me he would sell me one for the same price he would get from the recycler which is around $300 .
Recycle tried to fleece me.

That sounds pretty good. I think scrap is on it's way up. Check for major pitting on the bottom. some minor pitting won't hurt anything.

I found my local scrap yard had 4-5 500 gallon propane tanks. They looked pretty good but I wondered if they had any holes. The scrapyard had no idea and told me to ask the propane company that scrapped them. When I called the propane company they told me they couldn't tell me what was wrong with them just that they were unfit for propane service. I am therefore reluctant to use them....

There is a new regulation here now and it states that the tanks have to be cert. 250 psi or 300 I am not sure which one . Once the current cert. runs out they have to take the ones with the 200 psi rating out of service.Should be lots of tanks available in the near future that are in pretty good shape.

Kuribo
If you are planing to add ports for plumbing,any leaks can be repaired.So long as the outside bottom looks ok they should be fine.My tanks were manufactuered in the 60's and the inside was smooth unpitted.I had fittings welded in on mine then tested to 80 PSI.If you did get a bad one you can allways sell it back as scrap.
Good Luck Thomas

sell it back as scrap- didn't think about that! Good point!

How did everyone go about getting the stench out of their tank?

When i got my tanks they had been decomishined,valves removed data plate removed,purged ect.They installed pipe plugs.I removed the plugs and they aired out for about a month,then i got the welding done as i built a rack,about a month,and about another month buy the time my boiler room was closed in.Buy that time there was hardly any smell.I did preasure wash the inside when i had the standing up.
Then again mabey i got used to the smell??
Let them air out as long as you can.There are some posts with a chemical that is supposed to cut the smell.Mabey i got lucky and our propane isn't as stinky but i don't think so.
Thomas

kuribo said:
sell it back as scrap- didn't think about that! Good point!

How did everyone go about getting the stench out of their tank?

Put a couple gallons of bleach or denatured alcohol in ,fill with water let soak a couple days and drain. May not want to do that way in winter.
There's some other threads here on cleaning tanks. Just do a search.

salecker said:
When i got my tanks they had been decomishined,valves removed data plate removed,purged ect.They installed pipe plugs.I removed the plugs and they aired out for about a month,then i got the welding done as i built a rack,about a month,and about another month buy the time my boiler room was closed in.Buy that time there was hardly any smell.I did preasure wash the inside when i had the standing up.
Then again mabey i got used to the smell??
Let them air out as long as you can.There are some posts with a chemical that is supposed to cut the smell.Mabey i got lucky and our propane isn't as stinky but i don't think so.
Thomas

How is your tank piped Thomas? Did you put a drain in? Do you guys with 1000 gal. tanks have any pics.

Thanx

Huff

Hi
I made a stand/skid to mount my tanks standing up vertical.I added 1 1/4 weld on bungs in the very top and bottom.Added temperature wells for the top and bottom,used one of the existing bungs for middle.Hot water goes in top first into B tank then A tank,return water comes from bottom of tank A then tank B.
Hope it works
Thomas

This info was copied and pasted from http://www.missiongas.com/lpgastankdimensions.htm

Trinity LPG Tanks
Size Diameter Length Height Weight
250 Gal 31.5 86.5 39.75 472
500 Gal 37.42 118 45.75 871
1000 Gal 40.96 190.88 49.38 1729

American Propane Tanks
250 Gal 31 94 39 483
500 Gal 37 119 46 949
1000 Gal 41 192 50 1760

Thompson Propane Tanks