100K Boiler through 1" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I'll be plumbing an econoburn 100 to my existing supply/return headers off my oil boiler. However, these headers are 1" sch. 40 with 3/4" zone lines. The headers themselves are about 16" in length and I'll be adding a piece to loop the headers together to make the primary loop for the econoburn. I see many diagrams using 1-1/4" for the primary loop. In addition, after doing some research, 1" is good for about 70k+/- BTU/Hr. Should I replumb the supply/return for a complete 1-1/4" loop?

I personally would prefer 1-1/4" on the primary loop. I don't think you'll regret it especially if there is a chance you'll add any new loads in the future.

Also, measure the I.D. I've seen inch and 1/4 pex actually be closer to 1 inch ID.

Right, if it's type M copper, 1" is fine. If it's pex, then 1-1/4" is what is needed. This is a small run, and 1" copper is good for 10gpm, in a 20F delt world this is 100Mbtu.

TS

Sorry... I should have been more clear! Both headers are steel.

The headers should be fine. But I would use 1.25 for the near boiler piping until you get to where you can add in tees for future storage.

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.