102 Degrees and Not Done Yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
First time this season. Outdoor temp is -33F and inside (21 feet away from the woodstove) is 69F. I expect outdoor temp to drop a few more degrees before the heat wave sets in and we get up to a -7F for the high today. Time to break out the beach shorts.

This is real temp, not wind chill. Us in MN don't believe in wind chill.

1 - that is an awesome delta-T.

2 - holy CRAP am i glad i don't line in Minnefreakinsota.

Wow that's cold, damn cold. Congratulations on surviving those temps jb. Makes me want to head for Hawaii.

jebatty said:

The wind chill trend really bothers me too. Especially when it gets more press than the actual temps. What's with 69 degrees? Why not 75? Congrats on beating the 100 degree differential!

Man, we groan when it's in the teens. I cannot simply fathom trying to heat a house successfully in those temps. How do you people in Alaska and Canada do it? A lot of wood? Excellent insulation? Supplement with some other form of heat?

EatenByLimestone said:
Simple... Don't sleep alone!

Matt

And keep rubbing noses...

Well, we bottomed out early morning at -36F, for a 105* temp differential.

What’s with 69 degrees? Why not 75? Congrats on beating the 100 degree differential!

Ha! give me a break. House was at 69 because that's when I got up and the stove had burned down to low coals. It also stayed at 69, as I had to leave a 8:00 am for a meeting 30 miles away.

In all candor, it's tough to raise the house temp when it is so cold outside, but it's easy to maintain it by keeping the stove burning. We're at -14F now, hazy sunshine.

jebatty said:
First time this season. Outdoor temp is -33F and inside (21 feet away from the woodstove) is 69F. I expect outdoor temp to drop a few more degrees before the heat wave sets in and we get up to a -7F for the high today. Time to break out the beach shorts.

I have a friend in MN. I'll continue to phone him but I wouldn't think of visiting in the winter. Too coooold :ahhh: I'd heard that summer wasn't much to write home about either, but enjoyed my first visit last year.

You haven't lived until you've cross-country skied in northern Minnesota when is -23F. Beleive it or not I was sweating wearing just thermal underwear and sweats. I also believe the colder it is, the quieter it is. It was an unbelievable experience.

myzamboni said:
You haven't lived until you've cross-country skied in northern Minnesota when is -23F. Beleive it or not I was sweating wearing just thermal underwear and sweats. I also believe the colder it is, the quieter it is. It was an unbelievable experience.

I love the cold-induced quiet. I was out at 5:15 this morning to get a wheelbarrow load of wood, and it was so still and quiet. The moon was making the frost on the ground almost silver. Very, very peaceful. Then the kids got up a little later and it all went to hell after that. :p

I have the opportunity to beat the 105 tonight and tomorrow night, as the forecasts for both nights are colder than last Monday night. We're at a balmy -11F right now -- noon, bright sun. Even at these really cold temps, standing in the sun you can feel the warmth in your face, and if you wear dark clothing, the solar heat effect is very warming.

Hey Jebatty where are you? I'll be up the Gunflint this weekend but there is a big warm up coming.

The warm-up will be appreciated if you plan to spend some time outside. My wife and I love the Gunflint. What a remarkably beautiful area. Cross-country skiing? Snowshoeing? Fishing? Relaxing?

We're located about 45 minutes north of Brainerd, so a good ways from the Gunflint. If you look at a map, up 371 north from Brainerd to Pine River, then north on MN 84 to Pontoria -- one mile from us. Have fun.

15 below in Michigan this morning....

anything below 5 degrees all feels the same anyway, the only difference is the time it takes to get frost bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.