108181 Oregon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
localLEE said:
Looks like the 510.
Good grinder if it is.
Northern Tool had it on sale for $229 recentLEE.

That is the same grinder our local shop uses to sharpen my chains. If I buy through them they'll show me how to sharpen some chains, I'll pay more but they give us great service on the splitters and chainsaws.

Thanks localLEE.

Zap

I just looked at the catalog .
I thought I had the bigger one years ago but the 510 IS what I had. If you know your correct angles you won't need much instruction before you're a champ.
Main thing is to NOT heat the tooth up. Everything else is knowing your angles.
I only sharpened feller buncher chains with it and had different angle settings for softwood and hardwood. I hand sharpen all saw chains as I can do a better job than a grinder.

Looks like a pretty nice tool but what else could this be used for? Sharpening knives, axes, etc.?

Manicures pedicures, etc . . .

I bought the cheaper, "Timber-Tuff' one from TSC. It's made it's money back by now. But if I could actualy sharpen by hand - patience - it might not be worth it. Mine came with stones for each chain size and a chart with the angles in it. The only changing required in my case is from left to right teeth.

I am sure the Oregun is a better and more expensive unit.

localLEE said:
I thought I had the bigger one years ago but the 510 IS what I had. If you know your correct angles you won't need much instruction before you're a champ.
I only sharpened feller buncher chains with it and had different angle settings for softwood and hardwood. I hand sharpen all saw chains as I can do a better job than a grinder.

localLEE, do the rpms matter on these sharpeners?

Zap

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Manicures pedicures, etc . . .

Sweet! My wife might actually support this purchase:)

Also check fleabay for a 511a..Be used but your not going to wear it out! Gf knock out two 135 drive lenk chains last night with a raker roll..lol She's going to be Awesome at chains. Lee is the only person to catch the milling raker roll!
Something like this.

zapny said:
localLEE said:

Zap

Higher RPMs means you'll heat the tooth quicker if you don't know what you're doing.
If you do know what you're doing you'll get done faster.

localLEE said:
zapny said:
localLEE said:

Zap

Higher RPMs means you'll heat the tooth quicker if you don't know what you're doing.
If you do know what you're doing you'll get done faster.

Most chain grinder's are 3200 rpm. Better motor last longer and has no bog. Old beat up 511a will out preform 98 percent of any out of the box new grinder, and out last it.

Status
Not open for further replies.